3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a '06 1500 with a bad seat belt sensor.. incessant ding..ding..ding..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 AM
bohnjerry
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a '06 1500 with a bad seat belt sensor.. incessant ding..ding..ding..

Hey all!
I tried pulling the seat belt plug (along with the power seat control. Tried to close the seat belt circuit by jumping the leads there. No luck. Traced the wires to under the driver's kick panel, no apparent damage along the way. Since I don't see a place where a broken wire is obvious, I figured I'd simply jump the wires close to their source and circumvent the belt light and reminder ding when you cross that speed from a stop. We religiously use the seat belt, so I'm not worried about having that reminder gone. I do not want to yank the chime, in case it dings for another reason I need to know about.
Ideas? Does anyone know where this circuit originates? and am I assuming correct that a closed circuit is what signals a seat belt plugged in?
Thanks for reading!

Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Need to see wiring diagrams for those circuits........ Which I don't have, and can't find easily online. From what I DO find though, it looks like there is a 'seat belt controller module' that communicates with various other items on the vehicles data bus...... I can't find a wiring diagram for that module, which is what you really need.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:49 AM
bohnjerry
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.. It sound disheartening to find out there's such a module. I assume this might be tied to the airbag system? I know at some point there were features put into those systems (perhaps not even dodge) that changed when/if the airbag deployed based on whether or not the driver was buckled. This might be more complicated than simply jumping the sensor wire close to it's module....

Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM
RamedHemi
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI ALL,

I am having the same issue seat belt is buckled but chime wont go off. Any ideas on what to check here or this something to have the dealer check out? I was thinking of changing the buckle but not sure that will fix the issue and you have to pull the seat to do that it look like. Any help would be appreciated! 2008 Ram 1500

Old 05-21-2019, 10:43 AM
RamedHemi
Professional

no one has had any similar seat belt issues???

Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by RamedHemi
no one has had any similar seat belt issues???
What are you driving? Any warranty left?

I *think* it's just a switch, or a couple contacts in the buckle to clue whatever module in that the belt is actually buckled. Check and see if there is an electrical connector at the base of the buckle side of the belt.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM
RamedHemi
Professional

2008 dodge ram 1500

Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 PM
RamedHemi
Professional

There is a connector but its plugged in

Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it's only two wires, unplug it, buckle the seat belt, and see if you have continuity across the connectors from the buckle, and see if it changes state when you unbuckle it. If that checks out, see if you are getting voltage on one of the wires going TO the buckle with key on.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:14 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if you just want the chime off...the dealer may be able to program it out....you can for 4th gens...not sure for 3rd gens. the seatbelt light will stay on if not buckled or the module thinks its not buckled due to an open wire.... but the chime will not sound.

Quick Reply: Got a '06 1500 with a bad seat belt sensor.. incessant ding..ding..ding..