2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 LF door removal, door won’t open.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:52 PM
mrhotwheels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 LF door removal, door won’t open.

okay, my door was damaged when my e brake cable broke as I was getting out of the truck. I had my PR Cruiser in the driveway next to the truck so when the truck rolled backwards about 5-10 feet, the cruiser caught my door and bent it backwards. I was able to force it to close so I could drive it, but now it won’t open more than 8 inches, which isn’t enough room to access the hinges to get the bolts out.

I have factory black plastic flares on the fenders so I can’t see if there is damage to the fender or not. I thought that the fender was only the outer skin, but found out the fender well is spot welded to the fender. I’m afraid to force the door open enough to access the hinge bolts since the damaged door contacts the fender above the logo on the door. Should I force it open or do I have to go through with removing everything attached to the fender well and then remove the fender to get the door off? Since I have a diesel, it *looks* like it would be a pain to remove all of the stuff that’s attached to the fender well. Any ideas?

Old 11-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not planning on salvaging that door then you might be able to bend back that front part of the door where the hinges are and see if you can get some tools in there. You can see the top hinge through the gap in the first picture. There are 2 bolts holding the hinge to the door itself. They are threaded in facing the rear of the truck so you might be able to get a socket in there to unbolt them that way.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:00 PM
mrhotwheels

I took your advice and was able to remove the door and lower hinge and the two outer bolts from the top hinge but cannot get the bolt for the top hinge from the inside of the cab. I have two bolts out that hold the ebrake assembly on, but can’t access either the hinge bolt or whatever 3rd bolt holds the ebrake in place. I removed the door and hinges from the donor truck yesterday from a 99 1500 truck with ease. What gives here?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too sure where that bolt comes out. From what I saw it looks like it might be forward of the fuse box? I saw that same one and it puzzled me.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:53 PM
mrhotwheels

I found the bolt, on the firewall and up high, even if it was the bottom bolt. It took almost all day of fiddling around and a seriously gouged knuckle that will take a few stitches, but that inner bolt that holds the top hinge in place is off and the new hinge is in place.

I started this ordeal early this morning and finally came in about an hour ago. Crappy looking silver door now resides on my dark blue truck. It opens and closes, although I need to swap out the door lock and panels.

My original 2001 door has the wires off the back of the tumbler, not sure on the 1999 donor door. Is this an easy swap out?

Old 11-12-2018, 03:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

May have to change the door wiring harness as well, if it doesn't have that connection.

Now that you have it back together..... if the door won't open all the way, take the door off the hinges first.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 LF door removal, door won’t open.