2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 5.9 magnum EGR disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM
joescoaching
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 5.9 magnum EGR disconnect

Have a 95 5.9 magnum that the shop just put new short headers on. The old shorty headers had the egr hookup. The new ones don't. The mechanic plugged off the egr thinking it should run normal if doing so. The truck now runs like crap. Stutters at cruising speeds and slow accelerations.
I learned by calling a dealer that this is a California truck (I inherited this truck from my grandfather in Oregon) and therefore has a cali programed computer.

The question is, does the egr in this particular truck talk to the computer and be the reason for the stuttering/misfiring problems? The mechanic is convinced that it's not the egr being disconnected causing the issues and it's something more in depth. The truck was running perfectly before the header swap, there was just a small exhaust leak because the header was slightly cracked.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

If the EGR was blocked off properly, you should not have an issue. You can see an example of an EGR block off here - see the plate on the intake with the two bolts - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...snapped-3.html

Old 11-16-2018, 04:31 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Ah, ok. Thank you for the reply. They had just left the back hole open and pugged off one vacuum outlet and called it good.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:44 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

The back hole can be open, as you can see in the photo from the link shared earlier. If you can share a photo of what your EGR block off looks like, folks can better assess what was done for your truck and whether or not it should work as expected.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:45 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Ok, good deal. I'm about to go get it back from the shop and start working on it myself. Pics to come. It's been about 3 months of waiting on this shop.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

The EGR block off plate is pretty easy to make if you have metal and tools available or it can be purchased here - http://stores.hi-potek.com/egr-block...take-manifold/

Old 11-17-2018, 04:39 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just about to link the pic showing the EGR blocked off intake from the other topic. I thought it was odd you can apparently just leave that big back hole sitting there open, only need the blockoff plate, gasket I'm assuming, and two bolts to screw in where the EGR would normally sit.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
I was just about to link the pic showing the EGR blocked off intake from the other topic. I thought it was odd you can apparently just leave that big back hole sitting there open, only need the blockoff plate, gasket I'm assuming, and two bolts to screw in where the EGR would normally sit.
Yes, that's correct. The hole can be open, as it can be hard to find the fine threaded plug to close it off. Doesn't look nice being open like that, but as long as the plate is bolted in place with its gasket (which is where the EGR normally sits), it works fine.

Quick Reply: 1995 5.9 magnum EGR disconnect