3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake backing plate question?

Old 11-17-2018, 12:52 PM
Greg84
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake backing plate question?

Hi all. I just had my truck into the shop yesterday and they told me I need two new rear brake backing plates. They showed them to me and they’re all rusted up and falling apart. He said it would cost about $400 Canadian with everything he’ll have to do. He said he would also have to change fluids back there as well in order to do this. Wasn’t brake fluid he mentioned. I think it was axle or rear diff, or something. He said he would have to remove the hub too. Anyway just wondering if he’s pulling my leg to try to get more money out of me. Thanks

Last edited by Greg84; 11-17-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:19 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Axles need to be pulled to change backing plates. Thus rear differential cover has to come off. Just for what its worth.....and your decision...
Rear backing plates main purpose is to mount emergency brake shoes. Also keeps debris and water from brake rotor. If your ok with no e brake you could remove altogether and run without. I have ran like this for a few years with no issues. Never use e brake....which I could catch flack for. Lol. If you need annual or safety inspection this wont be an option tho.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:07 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I did mine in the Spring Car Quest price was $65.00 Canadian. Plus gear oil. A lot of work. Spend 3/4 of a day . But most of my time was dicking with park brakes. Then upon reassembly spider gears shifted and I had a lot of trouble reinstalling diff pin. So $400 probably pretty close estimate... After words the indy shop I use from time to time said I should of just left it because the new parts today will rust very fast. Then in a couple years you have the same problem..

Old 11-17-2018, 08:22 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for the hell of it I looked up prices. The backing plates in Canada at Car Quest today cost $135.06. I paid 64.99 on May 15,2018. What a friccin rip off increase. Rock Auto list Dorman for $44.79
The part stores in Canada must be loosing tons of business, There prices are eye popping high!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake backing plate question?