1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Putting a 1st gen bed on a 2nd gen cab and chasis ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 PM
1st and 2nd gen Dodge owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a 1st gen bed on a 2nd gen cab and chasis ??

The bed on my first gen (1990) is in descent shape the box on my 2nd gen is in bad shape. The first gen is a regular cab with an 8 foot box and my 2001 is a quad cab (suicide back doors) with an 8 foot bed. The 90 has wiring problems and will be taken off the road until fixed but I was wondering if I could do the swap and would it work. Don't care about looks right now just need it to be legal.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:40 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

What's not legal about your 2ndgen box? rusty wheelarches? How about screwing on some flares from a GMT400 truck? (88-98 chev; they cover ~3" of body). Foil tape and bedliner go a long ways too... lol! Running a mis-matched box might attract more of the attention you're trying to avoid...

You'd have work at leveling the box, or the rear will sit a couple inches high. The 1stgen frame has a hump in it for the axle, and the crossbed channels are thinner there. The 2ndgen frame kicks up and stays flat to the bumper.

Quick Reply: Putting a 1st gen bed on a 2nd gen cab and chasis ??