3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.7 hemi build

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.7 hemi build

Ive bought fixed and sold 4 3rd gen rams over the past 2 years. Bought an 04 2500 hemi now and love it. The hemi motor is night and day different from the 4.7. So much more power and a solid front axle. I have a 5.7 with dripped valve seats to build and swap in. So far im thinking spartan cam shaft, pacesetter mid length headers, some port clean up on the heads, porting the throttle body and a diablo tuner. Was also thinking an edge torque converter with a stall around 2600 to 2800 rpm. Also some new pistons and possibly rods, not sure on any brand i should go with for that. I have plenty saved up to do all the upgrades at one time. Any recommendations on parts or experience with similar upgrades i would like to hear about. Im also thinking of getting some kelley safari tsr tires for the truck. Would like to have it all done for the county fair dirt drags to try and kick some chevy and ford butt.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgens4sell
Ive bought fixed and sold 4 3rd gen rams over the past 2 years. Bought an 04 2500 hemi now and love it. The hemi motor is night and day different from the 4.7. So much more power and a solid front axle. I have a 5.7 with dripped valve seats to build and swap in. So far im thinking spartan cam shaft, pacesetter mid length headers, some port clean up on the heads, porting the throttle body and a diablo tuner. Was also thinking an edge torque converter with a stall around 2600 to 2800 rpm. Also some new pistons and possibly rods, not sure on any brand i should go with for that. I have plenty saved up to do all the upgrades at one time. Any recommendations on parts or experience with similar upgrades i would like to hear about. Im also thinking of getting some kelley safari tsr tires for the truck. Would like to have it all done for the county fair dirt drags to try and kick some chevy and ford butt.
I'm in the process of building a 5.7L Hemi and having it make 750hp with no turbo or supercharger to swap in my 2nd gen.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:02 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

750 is a major build. Could you tell me what parts your using to get to 750. Im hoping to get around 350 to 400 to the wheels. Noticed the past couple days a wet spot under the truck. Water pump was leaking. Replaced the water pump, fan clutch and went to a 180 thermostat. Made a huge difference for the truck. Runs cool and feels like it has a bit more power. Was worried with how people say the heat will suffer, still stays nice and toasty with the heat on.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

750 is a major build. Could you tell me what parts your using to get to 750. Im hoping to get around 350 to 400 to the wheels. Noticed the past couple days a wet spot under the truck. Water pump was leaking. Replaced the water pump, fan clutch and went to a 180 thermostat. Made a huge difference for the truck. Runs cool and feels like it has a bit more power. Was worried with how people say the heat will suffer, still stays nice and toasty with the heat on.
Highway speed it could get cool. Mine only did once. First thing I'm doing is stroking it. I have my list somewhere. I won't work on it again until the summer. Stroking it alone should get you really close. Plus a cam and headers with a custom tune I believe you would be there.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:57 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

Ive thought about stroking. It would push me to the high end of my budget but would require more machine work. Locally there isnt any machine shops that do much of that kind of work. There is a old man with a machine shop like 5 minutes away that specializes in heads. Havent started the motor tear down. Been working on the truck to get everything fixed up properly and working correctly. Fixing broken exhaust manifold bolts/ leak today. Pulling off the manifold makes me worry that headers wont fit on the 2500. Was a real struggle compared to a 1500. Might have to go with short tube jba headers after all. Also need to get a nice y pipe to replace the crushed pos the factory uses.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:20 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Ive thought about stroking. It would push me to the high end of my budget but would require more machine work. Locally there isnt any machine shops that do much of that kind of work. There is a old man with a machine shop like 5 minutes away that specializes in heads. Havent started the motor tear down. Been working on the truck to get everything fixed up properly and working correctly. Fixing broken exhaust manifold bolts/ leak today. Pulling off the manifold makes me worry that headers wont fit on the 2500. Was a real struggle compared to a 1500. Might have to go with short tube jba headers after all. Also need to get a nice y pipe to replace the crushed pos the factory uses.
1500 and 2500 have the same engine bay, so what will fit a 1500 will fit a 2500. New Off-road Y pipe would free it up a little

Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

The engine bay is the same. The problem with headers fitting is the front drive shaft. 1500s the shaft never moves, it just rotates. 2500s have a solid front axle so the drive shaft moves around. The exhaust pipe on the driver side doesnt have as much room. With the price of the pacesetter mid length headers i decided if they dont fit its not a big deal. I could cut them up or save them for future projects or if my dad ever gets a hemi instead of his 2 4.7 trucks. Didnt have any time today to get any real work done, just cleaned up the gasket surface on the passenger head. Was pleasantly surprised the broken bolts came out by hand. Didnt need to buy left hand drill bits but good to have them on hand.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The engine bay is the same. The problem with headers fitting is the front drive shaft. 1500s the shaft never moves, it just rotates. 2500s have a solid front axle so the drive shaft moves around. The exhaust pipe on the driver side doesnt have as much room. With the price of the pacesetter mid length headers i decided if they dont fit its not a big deal. I could cut them up or save them for future projects or if my dad ever gets a hemi instead of his 2 4.7 trucks. Didnt have any time today to get any real work done, just cleaned up the gasket surface on the passenger head. Was pleasantly surprised the broken bolts came out by hand. Didnt need to buy left hand drill bits but good to have them on hand.
I fit 1500 headers on my Power Wagon just fine. I am not understanding what you mean by the front driveshaft. Both have a slip yolk type deal.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 PM
3rdgens4sell
Professional

The 3rd generation ram 1500 has independent front suspension, so the front axle/differential housing doesnt move. The 2500 has a solid front axle so the whole axle/differential moves. I parted out an 05 ram 1500 hemi just last week, the exhaust is routed differently on the 2500 to leave room for the front drive shaft to move with the suspension.

Emailed inertia motorsports a few minutes ago to get some recommendations and to see what there response time is. Also worked on the brakes some today, slide pins had to be hammered out of the caliper. Used a rasp bit in a drill to clean out the rust where the slide pin boot goes. Now the pins move nice and easy. One piece at a time making this truck up to my standards.​​​

Old 12-16-2018, 06:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The 3rd generation ram 1500 has independent front suspension, so the front axle/differential housing doesnt move. The 2500 has a solid front axle so the whole axle/differential moves. I parted out an 05 ram 1500 hemi just last week, the exhaust is routed differently on the 2500 to leave room for the front drive shaft to move with the suspension.

Emailed inertia motorsports a few minutes ago to get some recommendations and to see what there response time is. Also worked on the brakes some today, slide pins had to be hammered out of the caliper. Used a rasp bit in a drill to clean out the rust where the slide pin boot goes. Now the pins move nice and easy. One piece at a time making this truck up to my standards.​​​
That is true but short headers would still fit, only long tubes would interfere (if at all). I thought you were talking about the front driveshaft which still moves on a 1500 just not as much as a 2500

Quick Reply: 5.7 hemi build