2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing cover gasket repair cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:22 AM
Aero540t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover gasket repair cost?

I’ll probably need to pay a mechanic this time. Does anyone know how much I’d be looking at cost-wise?
2001 with 5.9L approx 120k miles. Live in rust belt so that doesn’t help.
i just replaced last month, 1200ish miles ago:
water pump (Carquest new not rebuilt), this was the main reason for replacing things. The shaft had a ton of play and was banging around.
fan clutch
inlet tube
thermostat
radiator cap
upper and lower rad hoses
belt tensioner pulley
idler pulley
Plus serp. belt last year

I’m sure you know how it goes. You start getting into things and replace it because “while I’m in there”.

My dad just took it to deer camp a couple weeks ago. Thank goodness nothing happened then because the whole trip put on about a thousand miles. He might not have noticed anything wrong and blew it up.
I took a trip to the store the other day and now it’s dripping (pouring?) coolant out the bottom near the water pump pretty bad only when pressurized it seems. What are the odds I just didn’t seal it well enough? I called a mechanic and he said it’s likely the timing cover gasket. I can’t get a great look at it with my flashlight to tell for sure. Have an appointment Monday the 17th to bring it in.

Bottom line my wife and I just moved and I don’t have a garage anymore to work on it and need it ASAP to move the rest of the junk out of our house that closes on the 26th. I really shouldn’t be putting more money into this truck but I can’t seem to get rid of it at this point.
Also working on it in my apartment complex is out of the question plus it’s winter in Michigan and all my tools are 90 miles away still at the house that I have to empty..

Old 12-13-2018, 06:33 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Aero540t
I’ll probably need to pay a mechanic this time. Does anyone know how much I’d be looking at cost-wise?
2001 with 5.9L approx 120k miles. Live in rust belt so that doesn’t help.
i just replaced last month, 1200ish miles ago:
water pump (Carquest new not rebuilt), this was the main reason for replacing things. The shaft had a ton of play and was banging around.
fan clutch
inlet tube
thermostat
radiator cap
upper and lower rad hoses
belt tensioner pulley
idler pulley
Plus serp. belt last year

I’m sure you know how it goes. You start getting into things and replace it because “while I’m in there”.

My dad just took it to deer camp a couple weeks ago. Thank goodness nothing happened then because the whole trip put on about a thousand miles. He might not have noticed anything wrong and blew it up.
I took a trip to the store the other day and now it’s dripping (pouring?) coolant out the bottom near the water pump pretty bad only when pressurized it seems. What are the odds I just didn’t seal it well enough? I called a mechanic and he said it’s likely the timing cover gasket. I can’t get a great look at it with my flashlight to tell for sure. Have an appointment Monday the 17th to bring it in.

Bottom line my wife and I just moved and I don’t have a garage anymore to work on it and need it ASAP to move the rest of the junk out of our house that closes on the 26th. I really shouldn’t be putting more money into this truck but I can’t seem to get rid of it at this point.
Also working on it in my apartment complex is out of the question plus it’s winter in Michigan and all my tools are 90 miles away still at the house that I have to empty..
In all reality about $500. Now if he does it by the book (remove the radiator etc) could go towards towards $800

Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Think I would find out exactly where the leak is coming from first. It may be as simple as the bypass hose being a bit loose.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Or the new pump grenaded. Leaks are okay for a little while. I've driven for a year with a small leak until I found it. Just get sick of smelling it! If you're without tools, space, or time, just drop it off at a reputable shop for a diagnosis. I have had my truck on a lift with a mechanic checking and showing me everything he found for no charge. Don't suspect timing cover if it hasn't been touched since new. They are sealed very well at the factory. Mine was dry as a bone at 200k when I did my chain. And it is a big job. Verify the repair with a second opinion/quote.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Aero540t

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Or the new pump grenaded. Leaks are okay for a little while. I've driven for a year with a small leak until I found it. Just get sick of smelling it! If you're without tools, space, or time, just drop it off at a reputable shop for a diagnosis. I have had my truck on a lift with a mechanic checking and showing me everything he found for no charge. Don't suspect timing cover if it hasn't been touched since new. They are sealed very well at the factory. Mine was dry as a bone at 200k when I did my chain. And it is a big job. Verify the repair with a second opinion/quote.
thank you, my new job hasn’t started yet so I should be able to take another look under it today. Maybe it was just the new pump. It was coming out fast enough that just refilling it and driving wouldn’t be prudent

Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Aero540t

Well I got under it and let it run for a few. It does appear to be leaking where the timing cover meets the block near the top right side of the water pump. Local shop quoted 475 if we leave the new water pump on it that I just installed and close to 600 if they put a new one on. I’d be tempted to do new timing set if the cover has to come off but financially now is a terrible time to add anything extra.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Ramman18
Champion

If it's clean and hard to see, get some charcoal or chalk. Grind it up and sprinkle all along the area around the cover after you've dried it good. Then do another test. You should see exactly where it is coming from. I don't truly believe that just after a new pump the cover magically blows itself.

The timing set is $30!!! Heck, if you're that hard up, give your address and I'll ship you the parts. For labor, that's not terribly expensive since so much is removed. You'll kick yourself later for not doing/having it done when they will be literally looking at the sprockets and chain.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it's clean and hard to see, get some charcoal or chalk. Grind it up and sprinkle all along the area around the cover after you've dried it good. Then do another test. You should see exactly where it is coming from. I don't truly believe that just after a new pump the cover magically blows itself.

The timing set is $30!!! Heck, if you're that hard up, give your address and I'll ship you the parts. For labor, that's not terribly expensive since so much is removed. You'll kick yourself later for not doing/having it done when they will be literally looking at the sprockets and chain.
The water pump bolts also hold the timing cover in place. If the cover gasket is marginal already, disturbing it by doing the water pump can easily get it leaking. Mine started leaking simply because it felt like it. I did the water pump because I had to take it off to re-seal the timing cover in any event. (and also changed the timing set, since I was right there anyway.)

Old 12-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I suppose it could but there are other bolts that hold the brackets and cover on too that are not disturbed when the pump comes out. Makes me cringe thinking about that job. It was a doozy.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I suppose it could but there are other bolts that hold the brackets and cover on too that are not disturbed when the pump comes out. Makes me cringe thinking about that job. It was a doozy.
I did it in my driveway...... Laying on the ground, for some of it.. At least it was summer...... and not raining.

Quick Reply: Timing cover gasket repair cost?