1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1992 Dodge d-150 3.9 L Radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 AM
RM-D150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dodge d-150 3.9 L Radiator help

Hello I had a major overheat back in November. I started to work on truck by first replacing the radiator. The radiator I bought has a fitment of 1,3/4 inch outlet (lower hose) supposedly. . The problem is that the actual size is 1,1/2 if that then the outlet graduates to a bigger size, right next to the plastic tank I tried to connect lower radiator hose to that but I don't know it is not holding maybe. Anyway I had a shop put on new water pump thermostat and new lower temp thermostat the lower temp thermostat part was the shop idea not mine. So after spending more money than I have I an now stuck Anyway after driving around for a month smelling antifreeze and filling the overflow tank a least once I decided to rent pressure test and It sure seemed like the new radiator was leaking and or maybe coming out of the supposed 1.3/4 radiator outlet. I took the radiator back to parts store and even though I had to drill a hole on the angle iron frame so that the exact fit radiator would fit and anyway the parts store said that they would warranty out the new radiator but that is still left to be seen they said that they ordered the radiator but when I got there the next day they did not have it. So now my truck is on ramps and without a radiator( will that hurt my engine?) Untill according to parts store Monday. I did ding up the new radiator here and there more than I liked putting it in; I have found a 1'1/2 inch lower radiator hose listed at an auto parts store but the parts person told me that the hose is suppose to be 1,3/4. I have not been able to find radiator with the 1,3/4 outlet does anybody know what I can do

Last edited by RM-D150; 12-15-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: left out stuff
Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

According to rockauto they have two different size lowers, One 1 1/2 and the other(more expensive) 1 3/4. If the parts store says they cant get it go elsewhere or buy it threw rockauto or radiator.com Make sure you verify it has the sizes you need.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:54 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

are you sure the spring in the bottom hose wash pushed far enough back when you installed the rad? i had that happen on my 81 when i installed 1 of the rads. i would agree that if they local place can't get what you need may be best to get what you need else ware. rockauto had a rad to me in 2 days. your engine sitting there without a rad won't hurt anythings. you shouldn't have needed to drill any holes in the rad tho. should have just dropped in the exact same place as the old one

Old 12-16-2018, 03:52 AM
RM-D150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the helpful replies I took out the radiator the auto parts store said they would give me the lifetime limited warranty for the same thing on Monday well I am not able to afford another new one so even if they do not give me a new one I am going to try to get this one to work. at least that is what I am thinking right now.

Quick Reply: 1992 Dodge d-150 3.9 L Radiator help