2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No Start No Bus ASD Ticking New PCM

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Will Carbonell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start No Bus ASD Ticking New PCM

Hi Guys. I have ‘02 Dakota 5.9. It recently shut off on me and would not start back up. I replaced the PCM but still won’t start. The ASD relay and fuel pump click loudly when I turn the ignition on. Did I get a bad PCM? What’s funny is that two Dodge computers from two different vehicles were able to start the truck up and shift fine, but now with this new PCM: no start and relays clicking. Any ideas and help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:29 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try checking the fuel pump? when you turn the ignition to half way, without starting, you should be able to hear the fuel pump run. also, once you've done that you can check your fuel pressure on the rail. i think the auto parts stores will loan you a pressure tester. if you establish that the pump is not engaging then you have to figure out if it is the pump or something else like a harness or sensor or in-tank filter, etc etc etc. Sometimes simply nudging a wiring harnesses can reveal a fault or short that wouldn't otherwise be noticed.

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 12-15-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

If you cycled in a pair of dak/dur/RAM PCM's that worked and now this one does not, that would certainly raise a flag to me.

Black key or Gray/Green key?

Old 12-16-2018, 03:12 AM
Will Carbonell

Originally Posted by magnethead
If you cycled in a pair of dak/dur/RAM PCM's that worked and now this one does not, that would certainly raise a flag to me.

Black key or Gray/Green key?
I have a black key. I tried swapping relays to check if there was a faulty relay. All relays that plus into ASD connection have clicking sound. I bought the PCM from CarComputerExchange. Some folks have told me this was a mistake to purchase from them. The original module that died on me was from Auto Module Source (AMS). CarComputerExchange shipped my module in 2 days. Old module that died from AMS does not cause ASD relay or fuel pump to click. If this new module cause ASD clicking I’m guessing that means it is working and functional. Please correct me if I am wrong. Do I need a new battery?Two PCMs from other VINs start the truck but this “reprogrammed” one does not. Unreal. Should I take it all fuses and reconnect them? I’m ready to tow it to the auto electrical shop and have them deal with it.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 AM
magnethead
Legend

Are the other PCM's from a dak/dur/ram? If they make the truck run no problem (black key = no anti-theft shutdown system), I'd wager you've received 2 non-working PCM's.

The bad part is that it would be hard to go junkyarding, you'd have to find another black key PCM. It would also bother me if the PCM company is not asking you about key color, since that has to be programmed into the PCM. If it's programmed for gray but you have black, it would run for 3 seconds and die, because it's not getting a signal from the SKIM unit that it's expecting for gray key programming.

But yours isn't even starting, so it's safe to say it's not a SKIM/key conflict. (yet)

Old 12-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Will Carbonell

Originally Posted by XSubaruJeepDude
Did you try checking the fuel pump? when you turn the ignition to half way, without starting, you should be able to hear the fuel pump run. also, once you've done that you can check your fuel pressure on the rail. i think the auto parts stores will loan you a pressure tester. if you establish that the pump is not engaging then you have to figure out if it is the pump or something else like a harness or sensor or in-tank filter, etc etc etc. Sometimes simply nudging a wiring harnesses can reveal a fault or short that wouldn't otherwise be noticed.
When I turn the key half way I do not hear the fuel pump turn on. When I turn it all the way there is a clicking from the fuel tank which I’m guessing the fuel pump. It is clicking at the same rate as the ASD relay and fuel pump relay. I tried taking all the fuses out and putting them back in. Checking sensor connections as well and still get clicking.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Will Carbonell

Are the other PCM's from a dak/dur/ram? If they make the truck run no problem (black key = no anti-theft shutdown system), I'd wager you've received 2 non-working PCM's.

The bad part is that it would be hard to go junkyarding, you'd have to find another black key PCM. It would also bother me if the PCM company is not asking you about key color, since that has to be programmed into the PCM. If it's programmed for gray but you have black, it would run for 3 seconds and die, because it's not getting a signal from the SKIM unit that it's expecting for gray key programming.

But yours isn't even starting, so it's safe to say it's not a SKIM/key conflict. (yet)
Yes they were from a Ram truck and a Ram van. The PCM company just asked for my VIN, engine size, and mileage.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:31 PM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, when i had to get a PCM for a 94 XJ, I had to match the old PCM number to the new PCM numbers within a certain set value of numbers. I think if i remember , down to the last two digits. because apparently there were several for that year and not all were compatible or interchangeable.
For example,,, the Pump unit on the 15 gallon is different than the unit on the 22 gallon .

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 12-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by XSubaruJeepDude
Years ago, when i had to get a PCM for a 94 XJ, I had to match the old PCM number to the new PCM numbers within a certain set value of numbers. I think if i remember , down to the last two digits. because apparently there were several for that year and not all were compatible or interchangeable.
For example,,, the Pump unit on the 15 gallon is different than the unit on the 22 gallon .
yes all the numbers must match. The last 2 letters (starting at AA going to ZZ) are the revision codes. AA is first production, AB would be second revision, down to AZ for 26th revision, BZ for 52nd revision, ZZ for 676th revision.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Will Carbonell

yes all the numbers must match. The last 2 letters (starting at AA going to ZZ) are the revision codes. AA is first production, AB would be second revision, down to AZ for 26th revision, BZ for 52nd revision, ZZ for 676th revision.
So I called Mopar and the gave me the OEM part number for the original PCM that came with my truck. The last two letters are AC. Was very close to towing the truck to the dealership but I backed out because of the horror stories. I’m having a hard time locating the exact part or an interchangeable one. I only see ‘Repair & Return’ listings on EBay and most sites for Dakota R/T pcm’s. This is pretty ridiculous. This is my daily truck and it’s stuck. May need to go buy a new truck.

Quick Reply: No Start No Bus ASD Ticking New PCM