2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default problems

Hello guys,
i've been posting every now and then my issues.. Right now i'm having some more...
Was wondering if someone could help me an hand out?!
I'm driving an ram 1500 5,2l rwd from 2000.

So, March 2017 my reverse broke, which lead to a complete revision of my trans. Only my torque converter wasn't revisioned as he didn't have the time to send it out.. ( after all he only had my tranny 3 weeks for the rebuild, what normally would take 5 days.. )
Ever since i'm having the following issue, when i'm driving round 60mph and im going to overtake someone. I push the pedal to the metal, so i get my kickdown... starts around 2500rpm for example but when i get around 3700rpm for example my engine suddently revs up to 5000 rpm without having power to the wheels.. so i'm assuming the only possible problem must be in the tranny?!?! Or the torque converter! Can't be the engine right, or the axle?
But last month my torque converter broke, my car was at the shop for 3 weeks and got a new torque converter in! But im still having this problem!!!!!

It's pissing me off so much , as i've spend quite few euros on this tranny so far and it doesn't seem to work properly!
Could anybody possibly have a clue about it?

Thanks alot already hopefully this problem gets solved quickly..

Old 12-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If it was a standard trans, it would definitely be a slipping clutch. In autos, the torque converter has the same job as a clutch as it transfers power from engine to trans. But it may be some magical electrical thing too or sensor. The auto guys will chime in soon. . . .

Old 12-16-2018, 04:40 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Might be OD unit failing. I have kind of a same problem, difference is that when I'm slowly picking up speed and as soon as the trans shifts to 3rd gear it looses it. I just lift the skinny pedal and give it a new try. So far so good, but overhaul is not far.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:03 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you certain the Throttle valve cable / linkage is adjusted correctly? that could do what you're describe... do up shifts and downshifts go well when under light throttle? does it still do the same thing if you disable the overdrive (like you would for towing?).

Not sure how much you know about these transmissions, but if you do a search for 46re diagnostics (and / or similar terms), you can get a lot from older threads on here. I'm also sure some folks will chime in with more thoughts before too long... Lot's of knowledgeable folks on here.

for future reference (not giving you grief), I would never put an old torque converter on a fresh rebuild unless the fluid and filter were both nice and clean when I took it apart... even then I would hesitate... for the cost of a transmission, a torque converter is minimal and a new one keeps from getting any crap from the old transmission into the new one...

Last edited by wca_tim; 12-17-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:57 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Well it was the plan in March 2017 to rebuild it completely, my tranny got rebuild .. he only didn't put in a new torque converter, while i've asked to. I've been there multiple times with my issue , and he never really took the proper time to look at it. When i've recently broke my torque converter , i had no clue what the problem was, so i got it towed back to the same shop, cause he was talking it might be under warranty.
Ofcourse had to pay again, costed me 835€ on top of the 1670€ i've paid for the rebuild. Otherwise it does shift great ! It's only on my kick down, when going from 4th gear into 3rd and it starts to reach around 3500-4000 rpm , the clutch seems to break free.. also it's not doing it 24/7 , i've been trying to film my rpm gauge , while driving.. But the issue stayed away last night. Will try to record later again!

Greetings , Laurens!

Thanks alot already

Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Also my OD cable got configured by the shop.. so should be done right..

Old 12-17-2018, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

He re-used a torque converter in a rebuild? That is a MAJOR No-No. It is not possible to clean the tc out completely, so by putting it back on, all he did was make sure your trans wasn't going to last.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
He re-used a torque converter in a rebuild? That is a MAJOR No-No. It is not possible to clean the tc out completely, so by putting it back on, all he did was make sure your trans wasn't going to last.
Yes he did when i've let it rebuild in March 2017 , it was supposed to be sended out for revision. But i was also supposed to get my tranny back in 5 days, which took a good 3 weeks.. and ever since my reverse broke in february 2017 i'm having this issue since the rebuild.
So now my torque converter broke and i've gotten a new one put in + new bands and paid 835€ upon the 1670€ since March 2017.. And by what i'm reading i'm assuming my tranny will be more damaged already due to the re-used torque converter?

God damned lol

Old 12-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree that your mechanic is not competent for working on this type of transmission. His shop should be liable for all costs associated with the problem. Find a better mechanic for the truck, and a lawyer for the old one.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:03 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, while it is by far best practice to replace the torque converter whenever you rebuild a transmission, There are situations where it's not going to be the end of the world... For example, if you lose reverse because the band strut fell out or some other reason that doesn't dump bits of metal into the fluid, and decide to rebuild it, then chances are if the fluid is in good shape the converter MIGHT be "OK" to reuse on a budget... so long as the fluid is in good shape, there aren't any grooves in the bearing surface and it was operating fine before taking things apart, you could probably get away with reusing it... I've done it a few times without any problems - always on my own vehicles though and mostly before I had enough experience to know better. By the time you put all the other parts and especially the labor into removing and rebuilding an auto transmission right, the extra $10-150 for a remanufactured converter is always a good investment IMHO. just my two cents...

Originally Posted by Laurens Moja
Yes he did when i've let it rebuild in March 2017 , it was supposed to be sended out for revision. But i was also supposed to get my tranny back in 5 days, which took a good 3 weeks.. and ever since my reverse broke in february 2017 i'm having this issue since the rebuild.
So now my torque converter broke and i've gotten a new one put in + new bands and paid 835€ upon the 1670€ since March 2017.. And by what i'm reading i'm assuming my tranny will be more damaged already due to the re-used torque converter?

God damned lol

Quick Reply: problems