2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing old gasket off intake!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing old gasket off intake!

Well today I finally found the time to replace my plenum, I知 still waiting for the kit in the mail from Hughes though. It looks like cleaning the dang things are going to take longer than removing! I had it all apart in a hour and a half! What have you guys done to remove the old gasket? Ive always used the die grinders with the pad but always on steel!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
Well today I finally found the time to replace my plenum, I知 still waiting for the kit in the mail from Hughes though. It looks like cleaning the dang things are going to take longer than removing! I had it all apart in a hour and a half! What have you guys done to remove the old gasket? Ive always used the die grinders with the pad but always on steel!

I use a plastic scraper or steel wool. Sometimes will use a brass wire wheel.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I use a plastic scraper or steel wool. Sometimes will use a brass wire wheel.
What about the intake gaskets on the head, dumb question but do our trucks have steel heads or aluminum?

Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

What about the intake gaskets on the head, dumb question but do our trucks have steel heads or aluminum?
They are cast iron (powdered metal). Scraper or wire wheel.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Ok cool, also I have black gasket maker for the part the gasket does cover, is it any different then black rtv silicone? And do I have to replace my o rings on injectors since I took them out?

Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Ok cool, also I have black gasket maker for the part the gasket does cover, is it any different then black rtv silicone? And do I have to replace my o rings on injectors since I took them out?
I only used gasket maker on the 4 corners. It is different then silicone just for the fact it resists oils, chemicals, high temperature, etc just depends on which color you get. I didn't when I pulled mine too replace the one but it is recommended. Just inspect them and if they look good reuse them, can always go back later if they leak. Also make sure you use something to lube them when you put them back in, I used o ring grease

Old 12-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Get a small putty knife and grind a sharp edge on one side, It works well. I would stay away from anything the that rotates and flings dirt back in the engine(heads/block). Always use brake clean to clean the surface before you apply your sealant. Hope you opted for the fel pro gaskets not the ones that Hughes gives you with it.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Get a small putty knife and grind a sharp edge on one side, It works well. I would stay away from anything the that rotates and flings dirt back in the engine(heads/block). Always use brake clean to clean the surface before you apply your sealant. Hope you opted for the fel pro gaskets not the ones that Hughes gives you with it.
Unfortunately I didn稚, I値l just pick up a set from autozone! Thanks for the heads up

Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Andy Keller

There's a wheel out there, it's meant for stripping rust and paint, looks kinda like a sponge, about 4 inches around and has an attachment to put it in a drill. Usually about 12-15 bucks at any parts store, it will save you so much time and hassle, and it won't touch the metal. Whether it's on the intake, the plenum plate, or the heads. Takes the gasket off, but you still have a nice machined surface for your gaskets to mate to

Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

I just use a whiz-wheel, designed for aluminum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing old gasket off intake!