2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel radio controls to '95

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:51 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Steering wheel radio controls to '95

There was a 3rd gen thread here about radio controls on steering wheel, and I asked there that could it be possible to retrofit them to a '95. MoparFanatic21 said that I would need to swap the whole dash to accomplish that. Thought that it would be rather spendy, so I took a look on wiring such a feature on a 2001 truck. So far I found out that radio control signal goes from steering wheel to CTM via clockspring, and from there via CCD bus to a radio. Not too complicated.
So basically I would need to get them switches, clockspring, CTM and corresponding radio. And connectors for prementioned parts.

Naturally switches don't fit to a '95 steering wheel without a little fabrication. Though I could change the steering wheel all together, but not sure will the later model cruise control switches work. Or the airbag with the older collision sensors.

Question #1: Does the CTM work if there is only needed power inputs, datalink and clockspring connected?

Question #2: Is there a factory radio, that has a aux connector and RCA output? I found that cd-changer connection could be used as an aux connection. Or is there an aftermarket unit that understands the steering wheel controls?

Last edited by HeikIlm; 01-14-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

The communications bus on the newer trucks is RADICALLY different than what is on your 95. I would seriously expect that you would need to change the entire steering column in order to utilize the more advanced clockspring. (I suspect it simply won't fit in the 95 column.)

For the cruise, so long as it is wired up correctly, and the resistance values for the various switches is the same, (maybe.....) it *might* work. If everything from the steering wheel goes thru the CTM though, likely not.

I suspect it would be a major undertaking to make it work....

Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

It won't work without the corresponding wiring. You would need to switch over to a 98 and newer everything (maybe you couldn't keep your dash but not the dash harness).

Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

I knew the difference between the data bus systems, that's why I'm thinking it as a kind of a stand alone system. Buttons, CTM, radio. Nothing else. IF the CTM works without the rest of the factory system connected.

Cruise control should work, as it doesn't go through CTM, it goes directly from clockspring to a PCM. What made me wonder is that 2001 has a cancel switch, which is not on a 1995 switch panel. Couldn't find resistance values for the cruise switches, but they are easily measured from the actual switch panel.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
I knew the difference between the data bus systems, that's why I'm thinking it as a kind of a stand alone system. Buttons, CTM, radio. Nothing else. IF the CTM works without the rest of the factory system connected.

Cruise control should work, as it doesn't go through CTM, it goes directly from clockspring to a PCM. What made me wonder is that 2001 has a cancel switch, which is not on a 1995 switch panel. Couldn't find resistance values for the cruise switches, but they are easily measured from the actual switch panel.
I went from a 96 to 2001 steering wheel could never get the cruise control switched to actually work like they should. It was easier installing the 2006 steering wheel into my 96 and 01. Now back to the radio controls. The CTM needs other inputs to function. Think of it as a engine, you can't just attach a piston and expect it to run. I found no viable way to do this as I wanted to use it with an aftermarket touch screen radio. You honestly have 2 options, either all the wiring from a 98 and up or an aftermarket kit. Only way I knew of it to work was to program an Arduino to convert the signal, but I suck at programming. Everything else you'll need from a donor truck and it all should bolt in, but it's the communication that is stopping this.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:17 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Yeah, your're right, probably those newer cruise control switches won't work because they are wired differently. 2001 uses two wires whereas 1995 uses three if I'm not mistaken (that 1995 wiring diagram is much harder to read than the 2001 diagram).

Old 01-14-2019, 06:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Yeah, your're right, probably those newer cruise control switches won't work because they are wired differently. 2001 uses two wires whereas 1995 uses three if I'm not mistaken (that 1995 wiring diagram is much harder to read than the 2001 diagram).
That's not the problem at all it's the values. If I could take a video I would of how I have them set up.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel radio controls to '95