2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No Key!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Doomwyte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Key!

First of all hello, I'm new here, and have a very little technical expertise when it comes to vehicles.. Hope you can help me with this!

My roommate/co-worker bought a beat up 2001 Dakota from another ex-co-worker. Moldy, bad trany.. and no key! How the hell am i supposed to move this thing? I've tried looking up hotwiring guides and they worked about as well as expected. Is it legal to hotwire your own truck (insured under my name)? Is it even possible? There's no way im hauling firewood in my Jeep..

Funny that I'm getting Ford ads on a Dodge forum...

Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yellow pages for lockshops ,.Auto lockout service,housecalls are no problem.Just athought...........................

Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

A dealer likely will not give you the master number. They should be able to give it to a legit locksmith though. If you're lucky and bring proof of ownership, they might cut it for you at the dealer.

IDK how long the key master numbers are kept though.

And even then, if it's a gray key, they'll have to have the truck in the shop bay to program the computer to sync with the chip inside the key.

Quick Reply: No Key!