2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I paint my truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I paint my truck ?

It’s mostly just scratching/peeling of the clear coat. It’s a Florida truck so it’s rust free.

trying to find out if it’s worth the 2k or so to get it painted.

Thats about how much a decent shop would charge , no ?

Id probably go with black

Here’s some pics , took them quick because it’s freezing outside. The rest of the truck besides those obvious spots is fine.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/GHdZnRL.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mKfxNZG.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/8kzxm5n.jpg[/img]

Last edited by POSram2001; 01-21-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:25 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

That question can only be answered by you. Is it worth that much to you to paint it? Maaco has cheaper alternatives. just depends on what quality outcome you prefer. Cheap or expensive.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You may be able to wet sand down the clear coat(hood,roof, top of the doors/bed to the body line) Then re clear it(if the base coat is salvageable). Most pro painters want a clean slate to start with that kills the budget in prep work. If you do decide to take it somewhere do some of work yourself. Take off the bumpers,grill, lights etc so that will save time/labor so they won't have to do it.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

When I painted cars a lot of the money was disassembly. So if you do everything yourself it will save you money. Just be warned to have a good paint job, it has to be a rolling chassis so they can paint the firewall etc.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Only 2k? Do it! I was quoted 6k several years ago! Been thinking I may have to tackle it myself. There's really good tutorials out there and you can buy the quality 2k paint and clearcoat in spray cans.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Only 2k? Do it! I was quoted 6k several years ago! Been thinking I may have to tackle it myself. There's really good tutorials out there and you can buy the quality 2k paint and clearcoat in spray cans.
Problem with painting with rattle cans is you can't get the millage up high enough.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:19 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Typically I price out what a truck would cost to buy already at the point where I would take it, call that Y. Then I figure out what price I could sell it as is, call that X. Then I cost out what it takes to get it to the point, call that Z.
Then its simple math.. X+Z should be less than Y. If its not, sell what you have and upgrade.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Typically I price out what a truck would cost to buy already at the point where I would take it, call that Y. Then I figure out what price I could sell it as is, call that X. Then I cost out what it takes to get it to the point, call that Z.
Then its simple math.. X+Z should be less than Y. If its not, sell what you have and upgrade.
Then there is the nebulous value of having something that you already know what's wrong with it.... unless you buy something with a warranty, the 'replacement' vehicle is a big unknown there...... We also have 'sentimental' value...... something that is completely personal. Some folks don't get emotionally invested in their vehicles, others, they have experiences/memories wrapped in the truck, that you really can't put a value on. (like the folks that inherit it from a relative that has passed.....) For me, I do really like my truck, and I will quite likely end up putting more money into it than it will ever be worth, but, I also won't have a car payment, or expensive insurance bills every month. (and for me, that IS a major issue, being on a fixed income and all that.....) This time around, I didn't really *need* a new truck. (new to me, that is.) as my old truck was still running just fine, and drove pretty good. Not something I would want to drive to California, but, I had no real desire to go there anyway. So I could just sit back, relax, and just kinda poke at the problem. Mainly because, it wasn't a problem..... When I found one I liked, I went and looked. If I still liked it, I would make an offer. If they didn't accept the offer, that was fine. The truck I did finally get, I made an offer, (MUCH lower than their asking price) and was refused. No worries, I would just keep looking. Couple weeks later, I got a counter offer from them, that was a lot closer to what I was willing to pay. I ended up getting the truck for 3300, from an original asking price of 6K.... When I went down to get it, the seat was still adjusted to where I had left it, as were the mirrors. The radio was still on the same station. The truck was parked where I had left it..... So, at that point, I knew no one else had been to look at it. (or, at least, never took it for a drive......) They needed cash, I had it.

Since then, I have put probably 700 bucks into assorted repairs, and maintenance. Some of it actually needed doing (broken battery tray, no battery hold-down clamp) , some of it, I did just because the stock stuff was getting worn, and I wanted to improve it. (yellowed headlights, so, new housings, new bulbs, and the heavy duty harness from LMC truck.) And seat covers, because I HATE leather seats......

So, is the truck worth a 2K paint job? That is something only you can decide.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Then there is the nebulous value of having something that you already know what's wrong with it.... unless you buy something with a warranty, the 'replacement' vehicle is a big unknown there...... We also have 'sentimental' value...... something that is completely personal. Some folks don't get emotionally invested in their vehicles, others, they have experiences/memories wrapped in the truck, that you really can't put a value on. (like the folks that inherit it from a relative that has passed.....) For me, I do really like my truck, and I will quite likely end up putting more money into it than it will ever be worth, but, I also won't have a car payment, or expensive insurance bills every month. (and for me, that IS a major issue, being on a fixed income and all that.....) This time around, I didn't really *need* a new truck. (new to me, that is.) as my old truck was still running just fine, and drove pretty good. Not something I would want to drive to California, but, I had no real desire to go there anyway. So I could just sit back, relax, and just kinda poke at the problem. Mainly because, it wasn't a problem..... When I found one I liked, I went and looked. If I still liked it, I would make an offer. If they didn't accept the offer, that was fine. The truck I did finally get, I made an offer, (MUCH lower than their asking price) and was refused. No worries, I would just keep looking. Couple weeks later, I got a counter offer from them, that was a lot closer to what I was willing to pay. I ended up getting the truck for 3300, from an original asking price of 6K.... When I went down to get it, the seat was still adjusted to where I had left it, as were the mirrors. The radio was still on the same station. The truck was parked where I had left it..... So, at that point, I knew no one else had been to look at it. (or, at least, never took it for a drive......) They needed cash, I had it.

Since then, I have put probably 700 bucks into assorted repairs, and maintenance. Some of it actually needed doing (broken battery tray, no battery hold-down clamp) , some of it, I did just because the stock stuff was getting worn, and I wanted to improve it. (yellowed headlights, so, new housings, new bulbs, and the heavy duty harness from LMC truck.) And seat covers, because I HATE leather seats......

So, is the truck worth a 2K paint job? That is something only you can decide.
Me I sunk at least $10,000 into my truck and it's worth what $5,000 if I can find a sucker lol. I will never sell my truck. I will have it until I die if I can.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:14 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Me I sunk at least $10,000 into my truck and it's worth what $5,000 if I can find a sucker lol. I will never sell my truck. I will have it until I die if I can.
But you only spent $10k not $60k, so you “saved” $50k ;-)
And you didn’t spend that money to sell your truck, you spent that money to drive your truck.

Quick Reply: Should I paint my truck ?