3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 AM
dperry4930
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Fuel Pump

Hi folks. 176K miles on a 2007 Ram 1500 Megacab with 5.7L

Wife was driving it yesterday, it died about 2 miles down the road. Will not restart. It cranks, but will not turn over.

I had the truck towed back home. First I sprayed some WD-40 into the thorttle body but seemingly had no effect, so I assumed good on fuel. I replaced the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor with no impact. I tried again on spraying into the throttle body (using MAF cleaner this time and lots of it) and the engine turned over. I also depressed the valve stem on the Schroeder valve on the fuel rack and got no fuel.

Recent conditions: very cold yesterday morning (20 degrees or so)

Recent work on the truck: I did the blend door changeout, so I pulled the ventilation box and of course pulled the dash to do so. One of the wire bundles under the steering wheel I did not place back in the white plastic retaining clip, but I didn't figure that was a big enough deal to take care of immediately.

So it seems that my problem is no fuel to the engine. I have read that it could be the pump itself or it could be a problem in the TIPM.

My main question is what is the best/easiest way to determine which of those two things is the culprit? What I don't want is to give it to a mechanic without clear indication of what the problem is.

Follow-on. I have seen videos and discussions talking about being able to jumper the fuel pump relay in the TIPM. However my fuse/relay box looks nothing like the boxes shown in the various videos. Those show a box filled with fuses/relays and it is flat in the horizontal direction. My fuse box is at an angle and simply doesn't have that many fuses/relays, and nothing that says fuel pump. Is there a similar work around for this model of TIPM?

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-22-2019, 11:10 AM
campermama
Professional

If you have an OBD reader plug it in, even if there is no check engine light, it will tell you if it's the fuel pump. Same thing happened to me, it was the fuel pump. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:14 AM
dperry4930

Awesome, thanks. I have a reader, but am only proficient at using it for reading the codes. Any idea on how I get the info on the fuel pump? Will it show that the fuel pump is getting voltage (meaning it is surely the pump)? I am unsure how to differentiate the pump being broken from the TIPM being messed up.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:15 AM
dperry4930

I don't have the reader handy, I will look up the model and see if I can find something online to give me the info.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:18 PM
campermama
Professional

It will just show the words fuel pump and maybe something else with it I think, not sure, it was a while ago. But I replaced the pump and was good to go.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
dperry4930

Is there anything else it might be? Considering the engine cranks but doesn't turn over, could it be the throttle position sensor? Or the ignition switch?

Old 01-22-2019, 12:29 PM
campermama
Professional

Anything is possible....I'm just thinking fuel pump because same thing happened to me, driving fine, stopped at light and it stalled and wouldn't start. You don't want to keep cranking it!!
I would start with a reader and go from there.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:04 PM
dperry4930

More info. Came home this evening, it was warmer, 32 degrees. The truck actually started but then immediately died. So it did at least for a short time get fuel. More indication of a fuel pump or anything else?

If anyone can help me troubleshoot between the pump and the TIPM that would be great.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by dperry4930
More info. Came home this evening, it was warmer, 32 degrees. The truck actually started but then immediately died. So it did at least for a short time get fuel. More indication of a fuel pump or anything else?

If anyone can help me troubleshoot between the pump and the TIPM that would be great.
Test fuel pressure that is a sure way of seeing if the pump is bad

Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM
dperry4930

I depressed the valve stem in the Schroeder valve the first day I was doing this and no gas. However yesterday the engine actually cranked and started for a couple of seconds without spraying anything else into the throttle body.

My main question is what is the best way to find out if the pump is bad or the TIPM is bad? Both of those situations would cause my problem.

Quick Reply: Possible Fuel Pump