3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 problem in 2002 dodge ram 1500

Old 02-21-2019, 12:00 AM
Jesse Carlson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 not working in 2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9 gas

I need some serious help I just bought a 2002 dodge ram 1500 slt with the 5.9 gas engine and the 4 wheel drive does not work. The lights by the **** do not light up, and I have a service 4 wheel drive on the dash. I have no blown fuses and I took a test light to the plug ins on the transfer case no power to any of them please help I don't know where to go from here. Also I have searched high and low for anything with my same symptoms and vehicle and I found nothing I have no idea if this year truck came with a transfer case control module or not.

Last edited by Jesse Carlson; 02-21-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Jesse Carlson
Amateur

Anybody??

Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Are you getting power to the switch??

Old 02-21-2019, 07:04 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

can you get a scanner an find out what is setting the service light on ,,you will need a scanner that can get chassis codes ,, also you need a multi meter to check for proper voltage as on my 2004 its only needs 5 volts on most areas to work ,,,your 02 is some what different but things to check are the 4wd switch on transfer case easy replacement and the transfer case control module (tccm) ,,you need to find a diagram of pin outs of the plugs to tell were to check for voltage on the module and see if it has proper power coming in an out ,,power comes in from the fuse box , then power out from tccm goes to the shift motor on my 2004 ,,as yours may have some differences ,,also check the grounding the same areas from fuse box and tccm,,if you can determine grounds an power are correct you should be able to trace or find problem ,,also check the wires that go to shift motor as some of the wiring could have a bad spot if it had rubbed on drive shaft or other ares underneath ,,also check the 4wd selector switch itself ,,I bought a manual that I down loaded with all my pinout diagrams for all the plugs an components,,its a must to track down every pin in a plug and know what voltage your looking for,, you might find them here http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2004/d...ingdiagram.pdf but thats for a 2004

Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Jesse Carlson
Amateur

Thank you for all the ideas I've tried the selector switch and my manual states the tccm is up on the left side instrument panel I looked there and I see nothing just a big plug of wires the last thing I guess to do is try the multimeter if it's only 5v then that probably won't light up my test light I honestly don't know where the tccm would be I know there has to be one because it's all electronic I'll look for bad wires and test with a multimeter today and let you guys know is there no 12v power at any of the plugs on the transfer case? I thought I would of at least seen one .

Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Jesse Carlson
Amateur

And I did check power at the selector switch and I'm getting power at 1 pin.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Jesse Carlson
Amateur

I did have a scanner hooked up also and it told me nothing it won't communicate with the transfercase

Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Jesse Carlson
Amateur

Well I checked and theres nothing no power to anything so I'm guessing it's the tccm where ever its located

Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

The switch gets power first...... from fuse 36 in the tipm. (10Aamp) Check the fuse.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:36 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

my 04 ram the tccm is located left side behind cluster,,there is a panel on the outside on corner of dash area that pops off an gives a little access to tccm but its not easy access on a ram ,,you will need to pull cluster out and and with drivers door open at corner of dash pop the side cover off dash as the mounting screws are behind it , you still need a pinout diagram for the plugs to know what then do , check for power coming into tccm and power going out,,same with the ground

Also when you say checked for power did you check on the mode sensor side ? at least on my 2004 there are 2 plugs on shift motor, one is mode sensor an one plug to motor side ,,check fuse 36 as stated and then you need to know which plug on bottom of fuse box has the wire for power to the tccm or at least able to check the plug on the tccm for power ,,also check shift motor side plug an see if water has gotten in it there bad for that , found water in my plug before changing shift motor

On my 2004 ram I had no lights on selector switch and service light on ,, the original owner said it got stuck in 4wd and shift motor went out , he changed it but could never get to work, two years later I get truck, I changed shift motor , an tccm an selector switch , mine did not have a 4wd switch on transfer case but I think yours does , change that if it does ,,but anyways on mine I still had no lights or 4wd, I started checking wires none broken so checking for power on tccm all good then I checked mode sensor side of shift motor with key in on position an I checked for voltage on plug and checked the ground all good , then with key still on I checked all pins in plug by ohming all pins together with multimeter checking every pin to see if they were shorted together , all checked good I plugged it back in and when I got back in truck to turn key off , I had lights on selector switch and 4wd was working,, I dont know why but by ohming all the pins in that plug to mode sensor with key in on position it reset somewhere and worked so after 2 years 4wd now works an has been for a month

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 problem in 2002 dodge ram 1500