Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99 cummins diesel 4wd issue

Old 02-22-2019, 04:20 PM
judgeholden
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 cummins diesel 4wd issue

Hi to ev1.
Seattle had a bunch of snow recently and i couldn't engage 4wd at all. 24v 2500 99 ram.

It was around or below freezing for the whole week so i gave up trying to get it into 4wd. The truck is terrible in snow and ice unless in 4wd
i left it at a park n fly for a week.

Got back yesterday, the snow is gone and temps are around 40. the dash 4wd light comes on and goes off intermittently. It first came on after getting off the freeway at a right hand turn i felt the 4wd drag. Seems to drive fine as i had just driven it from the airport 40 m home.

I am curious if i should take it into a shop or troubleshoot myself, I dont think freezing temps and snow would effect the ability to engage 4wd.?
Thanks for any help here.

Last edited by judgeholden; 02-22-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Here is how the system is supposed to work, along with some troubleshooting tips. Have a look. It's a simple vacuum system, and I suspect you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The steel lines that run along the frame love to rust out.....

Old 02-23-2019, 05:20 PM
judgeholden
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the info and tips. I will try to troubleshoot myself ove rthe next few days but as a novice i think i may have to put in the shop for repair.

At least i will be armed with some knowledge though.
So thank you again.
All the best. Jed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 cummins diesel 4wd issue