1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Possible charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:41 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Possible charging issues

Noticed lately that my Durango seem to have slight trouble turning over. Not the usually flick of the key switch and motor quick spin and start up. Starting to turn over slower than usual.

I change my config setting on my passport radar to show voltage. Incredible as 80 percent of the time, I am sure as hell sure that the system is not charging. Voltage dropped to as low as 11.4 volts from 12volts. This is with no accessories running. Voltage gradually dropped when out driving for 20-30 minutes. Turned off truck, an hour later, start up, the system started charging again at 13.3 volts. After about 15-30 minutes, will start to gradually drop again. Drive it long enough, it can drop below 12 volts again. Since it does charge once in a while, I cannot determine where the root cause is. Hate to replace parts for nothing.

Odd thing about all of this. The volt gauge does not show this fluctuation of voltage. Almost like a dummy gauge. Always showing 14 volts.

I need to determine if this odd charging issue may be the alternator or pcm? Not sure if pcm controls the charging or if there is some external voltage regulator that this truck uses. Hopefully not PCM as I am afraid you will have to replace pcm to fix this issue. I like to fix this charging issue asap as the pcm in these 1st gen trucks are so finicky with under voltage issues..

My alternator is still the factory 2000 original that came with the truck. All in all, the components on the truck lasted quite a bit longer than I hope for now that my truck is hitting 205k. Only the water pump I had to replace ever now and then. Factory Power steering pump just replaced a month ago.

Last edited by Kensai; 03-17-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

to me it sounds like the alternator is going out, and when it heats up it stops charging properly. I would expect a much more consistent lack of charging/low voltage if the voltage regulator were the issue (i believe it is in the PCM on these trucks)

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 PM
Kensai
Champion

Sounds logical to me also. Got 18 years out of this factory alternator before it is about to give up.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:36 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

18 years is a pretty good run IMO, nothing to complain about, and they are easy and relatively inexpensive to change.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Kensai
Champion

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
18 years is a pretty good run IMO, nothing to complain about, and they are easy and relatively inexpensive to change.
I went to napaonline. They have too many choices to choose from. Denso, Bosch and napa version. Some nee and some reman. Prices differ all over. Some remain cheaper and some new are cheaper. Confusing.

I want the 136 amp hour. Since I have rt model. I have lots of studff that may put a strain on the alternator if I pick the 90 or 117 amp hour.

Which brand do you guys prefer? I like to stick to reputable name. Denso and Bosch are good names. Not sure about napa brand.

Went to Amazon and found some 200 amp or higher alternator. Pretty close to the pricing of the low amp alternators from napa. Will putting a high amp alternator mess with the electrical on these durangos?

Last edited by Kensai; 03-19-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always said go big or go home lol. In all of my vehicles I have always ran it with a 200 amp. Never know if you’re going to add electrical stuff down the road. I bought some of mine from eBay and got some from the junk yard. Never really had a bad experience yet.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by Kensai
I went to napaonline. They have too many choices to choose from. Denso, Bosch and napa version. Some nee and some reman. Prices differ all over. Some remain cheaper and some new are cheaper. Confusing.

I want the 136 amp hour. Since I have rt model. I have lots of studff that may put a strain on the alternator if I pick the 90 or 117 amp hour.

Which brand do you guys prefer? I like to stick to reputable name. Denso and Bosch are good names. Not sure about napa brand.

Went to Amazon and found some 200 amp or higher alternator. Pretty close to the pricing of the low amp alternators from napa. Will putting a high amp alternator mess with the electrical on these durangos?

i like to stick with a factory brand part (mopar obviously) if its available, and id put the highest amp mopar part on (obviously if the price is reasonable)

i believe TYC did alot of the OEM electronics parts back then, so that would be another good choice if available. If not whatever has the best warranty on it is what i would go with. Pretty sure we put an autozone duralast on my sisters beetle and we never had a problem with it after that.

also there is something to be said for buying the parts local if there is a core charge on it, just simplifies the return process.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I'd go with Denso over Bosch any day. As a matter of fact, I believe OEMs are made by Denso.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-20-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible charging issues