2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear axle bearings

Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Rear axle bearings

With 300K just around the corner, I'm wondering if any of you have had to replace the rear axle bearings? (Truck is 2WD)

I'm not having any issues or sounds, just trying to get a general idea. From what I can gather, my axle bearings are lubricated by the gear oil in the diff and are not like the greased/sealed versions. Haven't had to dig into this rear end too much. I replaced the gear oil around 47K mi ago, so nearing time to do it again. If I have the diff cover off, might be a good time for bearings, if needed.

Glove box says...

DHA Torque convertor lock
DMD Axle ratio 3.55
DRB Axle rear corporate 9

Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There's a lot more to replacing the bearings than pulling the cover. You'd need to pull the brakes, etc to pull the axles.

My opinion, leave them alone.

If they aren't noisy they're probably fine. As you said, they are constantly lubricated and usually, not heavily loaded.

A common sign they're going is oil around the axles or on the brake drum. It's due to seal failure from the worn bearing.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
There's a lot more to replacing the bearings than pulling the cover. You'd need to pull the brakes, etc to pull the axles.

My opinion, leave them alone.

If they aren't noisy they're probably fine. As you said, they are constantly lubricated and usually, not heavily loaded.

A common sign they're going is oil around the axles or on the brake drum. It's due to seal failure from the worn bearing.
Well, it looks like I'd just have to remove the brake hat and then remove the release pin inside the diff, then pull out the axle, brakes and all. From there, I pull out the bearing/seal with a puller, then tap in the new ones. You're right though, I'll just check the seals and leave well enough alone if good.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine recently tracking down a noise (which turned out to be a transmission mount). Decently easy, though mine is a 98. Jacked up rear, removed diff cover to drain, removed tires + drums, remove screw that holds the spider gear pin, slide pin out, push axles in, remove c clips, pull axle shafts out. Commence removing and replacing bearings/seals. I didn't have to break down the brakes. Suggest one side at a time, and slide pin back in to hold gears so you don't have to remesh.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Skreelink
I replaced mine recently tracking down a noise (which turned out to be a transmission mount). Decently easy, though mine is a 98. Jacked up rear, removed diff cover to drain, removed tires + drums, remove screw that holds the spider gear pin, slide pin out, push axles in, remove c clips, pull axle shafts out. Commence removing and replacing bearings/seals. I didn't have to break down the brakes. Suggest one side at a time, and slide pin back in to hold gears so you don't have to remesh.
Yeah, the c clips too...forgot about those. What brand bearings did you use?

Old 03-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Yeah, the c clips too...forgot about those. What brand bearings did you use?
I used SKF bearings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear axle bearings