2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 - what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:40 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default V10 - what should I look for?

I've been looking for a v8, but these v10s keep coming up. So I might have to consider one of those. Is there anything I need to watch out for when I'm looking over a used V10?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The older models had some issues with the oil pumps. (95 and older, I think) Some parts are getting fun to find, but, that holds true for a lot of vehicles of that era...... What prompted ME to want to buy one was the fact that I regularly saw them with 250,000 miles or more, and were still running/driving just fine. The gas mileage flat out sucks....... and there just ain't no helpin' that.... but, it's a strong engine, VERY smooth, with the uprated trans behind it. I love mine.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:24 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't had any major problems with mine so far at 186,000. The injectors were clogged/gummed up but after about 8 treatments through the tank its night and day. I'm getting ready to tear the top end apart for new valve cover gaskets and gonna clean the injectors by hand and flush the rails out. Like HeyYou said, parts are fun sometimes...cam/crank sensor, thermostat housing (saw one somebody had made for $400). I've also read that early years, I wanna say 97 and older had head cracking issues.
I love mine besides the mileage.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an oil pump and fuel pump go out early, which were both covered by warranty. A cracked cylinder head at 80k, that really hurt. Other than those with a few minor maintenance issues mine has been pretty good. The parts shortage does have me concerned though. I think they all have lifter clatter at first startup, but soon goes away. I use a quality engine oil and change it at the recommended intervals, I think that is critical. Powerwise, it has plenty of torque for hauling, which is why I bought it. The long bed has a 35 gallon tank per the owners manual.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Torxhead
I had an oil pump and fuel pump go out early, which were both covered by warranty. A cracked cylinder head at 80k, that really hurt. Other than those with a few minor maintenance issues mine has been pretty good. The parts shortage does have me concerned though. I think they all have lifter clatter at first startup, but soon goes away. I use a quality engine oil and change it at the recommended intervals, I think that is critical. Powerwise, it has plenty of torque for hauling, which is why I bought it. The long bed has a 35 gallon tank per the owners manual.
I have a quad cab short bed, and also have a 34 gallon fuel tank. I think ALL of the V-10 trucks got the big tank, simply because of how thirsty they are.

Quick Reply: V10 - what should I look for?