2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 PM
cegulley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello everyone. I finally decided to join the forum rather than just enjoy the benefits of the posts.
I have a 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.9L. Its showing 320K on the odometer. I had the transmission rebuilt at about 150 and when it needed rebuilding again decided to overhaul the engine and get a crate transmission.

My plans were delayed by a broken foot and then life just seemed to get in the way. It sat with engine out and crate transmission still in the crate for over a year.

Finally got the engine fully overhauled (.10 over) and started putting everything together. Parts missing galore!!!!

Dealing with a few issues which I will probably post in the technical areas:

1. Transmission is jumpy. Based on research I think it is the wrong torque converter. Overdrive light comes on and I can tell it is not shifting into OD correctly. Transmission temp light comes on but I know it is not running hot.
2. Oil pan is out of whack. I can't get the dipstick to go into the slot. Tried 2 different dipsticks. Unless I find another solution, going to change out the oil pan.
3. Coolant temp sensors are sending incorrect signal to dash gauge. It reads over 260 before the T-Stat even opens then backs down to just under 260.
4. I lost some of the parts to connect the 4 wheel drive. Hopefully I can find these at a pull-a-part place.

I am looking forward to participating in the forum and getting to know some of you.

Buddy

Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Sounds like you get sensors for a 00 and up trans. They are not compatible with the 99 and older PCM. Easy fix there though, just change 'em out for the correct sensors. (governor pressure sensor, and solenoid) Need the correct retainer for them as well. I believe the internal connectors are different, so, you may need to the O/D and TCC solenoid set as well.

Dipstick goes thru the timing cover, then into a path welded to the inside of the oil pan, sounds like yours just isn't lining up quite right. Dropping the pan, and having a look wouldn't hurt. (and on a 4x4, don't even need to lift the engine to do it.)

You have two sensors. A one wire sensor for the gauge in the dash, and a two wire sensor for the PCM. Check out the 1 wire sensor. Make sure it is plugged in good, and the connector hasn't simply disintegrated.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Dipstick goes thru the timing cover, then into a path welded to the inside of the oil pan,
Dipstick goes into a tube pressed into the block right next to the timing cover. Was the tube removed when you had the engine work done? If so the origination may be off or it was bent in the process.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM
cegulley

Thanks for the heads up HeyYou and Moparite.

I had not even thought about the year of the crate tranny. I certainly will try new sensors, before I change the torque converter. That would explain the OD light and trans temp light as well..

As far as the dipstick. I have dropped the oil pan three times now, I even opened up the welded channel to accommodate any slight misalignment. It seems to be sticking when it gets to the turn at the bottom of the channel. I have no idea what could have happened while the pan was sitting on the shelf.

I think my one wire connector must be bad. I am pretty sure it only supplies the gage so I am not totally wigged out by seeing the needle in the red as long as I know the engine is running fine. I am wondering if i can get a new connector and splice it in?

Buddy

Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I *think* you can get new connectors...... either that, or score one from a junkyard. (if you can find one......)

Old 04-27-2019, 09:36 AM
cegulley

Hey You,
You were absolutely correct. I finally got to drop the tran pan and get a look at the solenoids. I am attaching a photo of the two governor body assemblies. The one on the left is from the original transmission of my 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9L 4X4. The one on the right is from the crate transmission.

I found a source to splice in a new connector for the wiring harness, which seems much simpler than dropping the transmission, and separating the overdrive housing just to be able to drop the valve body to replace the external connector.
Any other ideas would be great.

By the way, I am not sure of the forum rules regarding suggestions of other websites, but I found a great video tutorial to completely disassemble and reassemble the 46RE, and the video project uses the exact same transmission as mine. The great part of this video is that you get to learn the names of all the parts. Is is ok to post?

Buddy

Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by cegulley

Hey You,
You were absolutely correct. I finally got to drop the tran pan and get a look at the solenoids. I am attaching a photo of the two governor body assemblies. The one on the left is from the original transmission of my 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9L 4X4. The one on the right is from the crate transmission.

I found a source to splice in a new connector for the wiring harness, which seems much simpler than dropping the transmission, and separating the overdrive housing just to be able to drop the valve body to replace the external connector.

By the way, I am not sure of the forum rules regarding suggestions of other websites, but I found a great video tutorial to completely disassemble and reassemble the 46RE, and the video project uses the exact same transmission as mine. The great part of this video is that you get to learn the names of all the parts. Is is ok to post?

Buddy
You can post the link to the video as it's probably YouTube.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by cegulley

Hey You,

Buddy
You can drop the valve body with the trans in the truck. No need to pull it.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:41 PM
cegulley

Well Boys and Girls, Hey You is correct again.

I dropped the valve body and changed the solenoid wiring harness and the pressure sensor and governor solenoid. My biggest worry was getting the parking rod back in but everything just slipped back into place.
Obviously this corrected the lack of overdrive and the trans temperature light issues. However I still have a stutter around 45-50 mph.

I am wondering if the later model transmission also included a different torque converter. I have read that the incorrect torquer converter can cause such a stutter or shudder at speed. I trashed the orginal converter when cleaning up around the shop. So likely I will have to drop the transmission and replace.

Two questions: How can I tell from the converter itself if it is incorrect. Are there numbers or number of ridges or any other distinguishing features? And secondly, how do I ensure I order the correct torque converter. I don't understand what I have read about stall speeds, etc.

Thank you again for your help.

Clark

Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Stutter at 45mph or so is usually associated with an engine misfire....... If you drive right at 45 mph (coincidentally, the speed at which the trans goes to O/D, and TCC locks up......) does is shake pretty bad? If you turn off O/D, does the shake immediately get a lot better? If so, I would be looking at tune-up parts, and possibly the plenum.

Quick Reply: New Member