1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Eliminating in-tank fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Eliminating in-tank fuel pump

91 d150 360 Magnum swap, carb. Looking at eliminating in the pump in the tank, so I can install a low pressure fuel pump. I'm going to use the existing wiring to wire in my new pump. But I want to keep my sending unit for the gauge. But it appears the pump is built into the sending unit. It's there a sending unit I can buy that will do what I want, or what are the ideas that others have done when converting to carb. I have a pressure regulator but it still pumps gas and floods the engine. I'm using the return line to send the overflow back to the tank, but it still dumps gas big time. Two inline filters, I've checked the floats they are not sticking. No pressure build up in the tank to prevent it to not return fuel. Mechanical pump is out, I got a short nose cam. I really, really don't want to switch tanks. If that's the case I'll just get a universal 22 gallon and mount in the bed.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Use your sending unit, just replace the intank pump with a piece of pipe, or hose, that gets it down to the same level as the sock on the pump. Adapting it to actually use the sock as well wouldn't be a bad idea.

Do you have a pressure gauge on your regulator? Carb only needs 5-7 PSI. Much more than that, and it will literally blow the floats open.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:46 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Use your sending unit, just replace the intank pump with a piece of pipe, or hose, that gets it down to the same level as the sock on the pump. Adapting it to actually use the sock as well wouldn't be a bad idea.

Do you have a pressure gauge on your regulator? Carb only needs 5-7 PSI. Much more than that, and it will literally blow the floats open.
Lol, that's what I did. Oddly it had a spot that looked like it was made for a piece of line so I put one in there. Works good, now I just gotta figure out where my wires go for the gas gauge. Somebody rigged this connector to make the pump run and didn't worry about the gauge. I just need to know where the wires go in the pins. Damn Chilton book sucks.
I have an oil filled gauge on my regulator, I'm gonna have to readjust it, it's showing 0 so it's bypassing. It's not a cheap one. It's a Holley regulator, billet aluminum $180 on summit. Should work like it should now. I think that oem pump just had to much pressure.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by rebeltaz83
Lol, that's what I did. Oddly it had a spot that looked like it was made for a piece of line so I put one in there. Works good, now I just gotta figure out where my wires go for the gas gauge. Somebody rigged this connector to make the pump run and didn't worry about the gauge. I just need to know where the wires go in the pins. Damn Chilton book sucks.
I have an oil filled gauge on my regulator, I'm gonna have to readjust it, it's showing 0 so it's bypassing. It's not a cheap one. It's a Holley regulator, billet aluminum $180 on summit. Should work like it should now. I think that oem pump just had to much pressure.
Regulators also have a max input pressure. Learned that one the hard way.

Make sure you are using the correct ports on the regulator. I've done that before too.........

Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

almost sounds like you got to install a gauge on the carbs fuel line and see what is says. i would agree with HeyYou about double checking the regulator to make sure you got it all hooked up right. in tank pump is the best way to go. inline pumps are more likely to fail. i know i bought a fitech system and had the inline fuel pump fail less than 3 days after install. these frames have nowhere ideal to really run a inline pump.

this should help with the gauge. you really only need the 1 wire from the tank to gauge to make it work.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:12 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Regulators also have a max input pressure. Learned that one the hard way.

Make sure you are using the correct ports on the regulator. I've done that before too.........
It came with 2 springs, one for EFI, and one for carb. I got the carb spring in it. But I got the adjuster backed off all the way. Holley said it would work with my tank pump, lol. I pulled the bed, so much easier to work lol. I mounted the pump on the cross member where the external filter was, my pump has a filter on it so I should be good, plus a filter at the carb. See through type. Regulator has 1 return, and the other two ports are reversable. Thanks Wolfie for that diagram!!!! Just what I needed.
I have an Edelbrock avs2 carb. It has a fuel supply at either end of the carb. I'm using one port. I'm going to the regulator, out to the carb. And also the return. Would it better to run the supply line to the carb. And have the regulator on the other end?? I'll just cap the end and have the return going to the tank?? Or will it be ok how I have it. I got the regulator before the carb.i guess would be easier to say. So regulator before the carb, or after the carb.??

Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the regulator always has to go before the carb. just some carbs are a bit pickier about pressure. some might like 4 psi where others might like 7. my gauge use to bounce 5-7 while running when it was carbed.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:31 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
the regulator always has to go before the carb. just some carbs are a bit pickier about pressure. some might like 4 psi where others might like 7. my gauge use to bounce 5-7 while running when it was carbed.
Cool, I followed the directions that came with the regulator. I'll have to get an inline gauge and adjust the regulator. I heard these carbs like about 6 to 6.5psi. this pump is rated 5 to 7. Holley mighty mite. Inline fuel pump. I got everything setup so if it does fail it's not a bad job changing it from underneath. I put all my clamps facing down. Wires out where they can be unplugged, but tied up so they don't get snatched. I put insulated male/female Spade connectors on the pump, and filled full of dielectric grease.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:21 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Who makes a good low pressure in tank pump that works with these trucks?? Nothing over 7psi. Well maybe 14psi max with my regulator.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the inline pump not doing the job?

Quick Reply: Eliminating in-tank fuel pump