1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91' 4x4 318 interesting transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Gemin Palumbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91' 4x4 318 interesting transmission issue.

Hello everyone!

I picked up a 1991 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 318 5.2L V8 Automatic. Thing runs beautiful but it had a lot of brake issues so I replaced the brake lines and redid the rear brakes entirely and the braking issues are resolved. When I was test driving it, I noticed when the truck would try to shift into 2nd gear it felt like something was binding and nearly trying to lock up the rear wheels. This only happens when it tries to shift into 2nd. If I put the shift selector in 1st and wind out the rpms she goes just fine but the moment i move it to 2nd, it happens. A buddy of mine thinks it's having trouble completely shifting from first to second and is essentially in 1st & 2nd at the same time. Has anyone else seen this issue with this truck? I've searched and searched and can't really find a real definitive answer on this. Some say it might be the pressure solenoid, some say it could just need a fluid change, others say the transmission is shot. Figured I'd pick everyone's brains on here and see what you all think!

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You have a mechanical governor in your trans, so, your problem is also going to be mechanical. Think I would drop the pan, see if anything interesting presents itself. If it all looks good, try adjusting the bands. Beyond that, it's probably teardown time.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Gemin Palumbo

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You have a mechanical governor in your trans, so, your problem is also going to be mechanical. Think I would drop the pan, see if anything interesting presents itself. If it all looks good, try adjusting the bands. Beyond that, it's probably teardown time.
Do you know which trans I have? or how I can tell? With all the information floating around on this truck it sounds like a unicorn that has a different engine & trans from all the other gen 1 V8 4x4s. I'm not even sure if what's in the truck is original and the sticker under the hood had been painted over by one of the previous owners. I couldn't see any model annotations on the housing when I looked but I'm not sure where to look for it.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gemin Palumbo
Do you know which trans I have? or how I can tell? With all the information floating around on this truck it sounds like a unicorn that has a different engine & trans from all the other gen 1 V8 4x4s. I'm not even sure if what's in the truck is original and the sticker under the hood had been painted over by one of the previous owners. I couldn't see any model annotations on the housing when I looked but I'm not sure where to look for it.
Should be a 46rh. They're all the same realistically speaking. You dont have a super unicorn, but aside from the Shelby you have a 1 year only la v8 instead of a magnum v8.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the innards look almost identical between the 2 possible choices of trans, service of either is too... on the 46 series the clutch packs, bands and hard parts are just slightly larger. as I remember you can even swap valve bodies between them but don't quote me on that I'd have to check on it/ been a while since I was into one of these

Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Gemin Palumbo

So I've dropped the pan, done a filter change as well as a front and rear band adjustment with no luck. Since this is a 318 LA 4x4 I can't really find many direct fit transmissions. What other dodge vehicles could I potentially pull a transmission from? I can't seem to find a straight answer. The closest I can find is that the Dakota & Durango 5.2L shared the A500 44RE transmission from 89-03. But that doesn't seem quite right? I also see many saying it's using the same A500 42RE as the v6. The only real common ground I see over and over is the 5.9L had the A518 46RH but that doesn't really help me.

Probably the best way to describe the issue, it goes into drive and reverse fine and moves fine. But as I accelerate and it appears to go to shift into 2nd gear it's like someone is slamming on the brakes.

Last edited by Gemin Palumbo; 07-18-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It's not a RE transmission.

The V6 Dodges got 42RHs 1988 (optional at end of model year) to 1995; the 1996 model year got the 42RE. OTOH, the 42/44s are direct swaps in and out for any particular set (42RH bad? Use a 44RH!) The V8s got 46RHs at least from 90 to 95.

Do remember that the Ram also go the same transmissions.

For 1992, they show the

As to if go to a 46RH, the 1st gear ratio is slightly longer legged (lower numerically), but the 46RH will bolt up and fit fine. It just has to be the 4WD version.

The JEEP 46RH will fit and work, but the starter is on the other side of the block, so a bit more work to make work right.

RwP

Old 07-19-2019, 06:08 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you considered pulling it out, and having a shop rebuild it for you? As Ralph said, the 96 and up are going to be electronic versions (RE) So you need a 95 or older..... That is, at best, a 23 year old transmission. My point being, what is the chance of finding a good one used?

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:54 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

What 93 ragtop said.

Get it rebuilt, or rebuild it yourself.

That way you KNOW it's been done, and has good bands and frictions in it.

RwP

Quick Reply: 91' 4x4 318 interesting transmission issue.