2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating after new pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating after new pump

I have a 99 5.2 that needed a new water pump, the bearings were going bad and my fan had a lot if play in it. The truck has a 180 thermostat in it, and before the new water pump this thing stayed at 180, never moved at all. After the new pump which also came with the fan clutch, I bled all of the air out and now it’s overheating. I am keeping the cap off and it has so much pressure in it that it’s boiling and gushing out of the reservoir up to the sky a good 2 feet. Both rad hoses are too hot to touch, it will stay at 210 with the cap off but like I said, it will shoot out like a rocket. With the cap on it jumps up to 240 quick

im thinking I still have air in it, possibly pushing on the tstat and causing it not to open?

Last edited by Chunx89; 04-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
I have a 99 5.2 that needed a new water pump, the bearings were going bad and my fan had a lot if play in it. The truck has a 180 thermostat in it, and before the new water pump this thing stayed at 180, never moved at all. After the new pump which also came with the fan clutch, I bled all of the air out and now it’s overheating. I am keeping the cap off and it has so much pressure in it that it’s boiling and gushing out of the reservoir up to the sky a good 2 feet. Both rad hoses are too hot to touch, it will stay at 210 with the cap off but like I said, it will shoot out like a rocket. With the cap on it jumps up to 240 quick

im thinking I still have air in it, possibly pushing on the tstat and causing it not to open?
You still do have air in it. A tip I found through the forums is park on a hill with the front of the vehicle facing up the hill. Ramps or jack stands will work also. Also next time drill a little hole in the thermostat that will help!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You still do have air in it. A tip I found through the forums is park on a hill with the front of the vehicle facing up the hill. Ramps or jack stands will work also. Also next time drill a little hole in the thermostat that will help!
i put it up on jack stands and still had no luck. Next I’ll drill two holes in the thermostat, there’s a crappy failsafe in there, should I just swap it out to a different one? It’s brand new though

Old 04-14-2019, 06:29 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Be sure to use a quality thermostat in addition to ensuring no air is still in the system. I use Stant Superstats and haven't had an issue with them to-date.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
i put it up on jack stands and still had no luck. Next I’ll drill two holes in the thermostat, there’s a crappy failsafe in there, should I just swap it out to a different one? It’s brand new though
Drill one hole, and you sure you got the right temp thermostat?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drilling that hole in the thermostat does get the air out of the block after changing that thing. If it still runs hot, there could be an issue with a blockage in the block coolant flow or the fan clutch could be shot.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Drill one hole, and you sure you got the right temp thermostat?
just went out and put a new one it’s a 195. drilled the one hole and it’s holding at 210 but slowly climbs.

Originally Posted by Torxhead
Drilling that hole in the thermostat does get the air out of the block after changing that thing. If it still runs hot, there could be an issue with a blockage in the block coolant flow or the fan clutch could be shot.
brand new fan clutch and water pump, don’t know what else it could be. Only thing is air in the system, but it seems to me that the pump isn’t working. My radiator is too hot to touch. The coolant in the radiator is steaming when i am waiting to burp the air out. This things holds its temp until I put the radiator cap back on. I’m stumped here.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Skip the safety stat. They suck. (and tend to fail rather quickly) Just get a stant thermostat, drill a hole in it, and call it a day.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Skip the safety stat. They suck. (and tend to fail rather quickly) Just get a stant thermostat, drill a hole in it, and call it a day.
Thats what I did, and still no luck!

Old 04-14-2019, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Try burping it again. Radiator cap off, let the thermostat cycle a couple times. See what happens.

Quick Reply: Overheating after new pump