K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

belts not lining up on '94 Spirit, what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:43 PM
rastoma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belts not lining up on '94 Spirit, what am I doing wrong?

Well, I have everything back together on this 94 Spirit with a 2.5L after changing the water pump.

I should have taken pics of the belts before removing but I would have never imagined it would be this hard to get them back on. I've looked at practically every belt diagram I could find online. It's as if the belts have shrunk LOL. The PS belt is correct. I can't figure out how the other two belts could possible route so as I have no extra room in them at all and the adjusters are in as far as possible. I'm a bit embarrassed on getting defeated by a couple of belts but I give up and come here.... one again.... looking for help

The two belts cannot be swapped wince one is a v-belt and one is a ribbed belt. So the pullies dictate which belt goes where. Not one of the 3 belts are long enough to go around the water pump pulley. They are the same 3 belts that I removed and it's the same water pump pulley that I put back on.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Water pump pulley appears to expect the serpentine belt to drive it. The flat side, not the ribbed side, but, it looks in the pics like it wouldn't line up at all??

Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

By the marks on the water pump pulley it looks like you installed in on backwards. And the belt doesn't go around the water pump pulley!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 PM
rastoma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the clearance the pulley couldn't go on the other way. Yes I see the belt rides on the top. But something is still off. The A/C belt is touching the water pump pulley and I have the alternater just barely hanging on with the adjustment screws as loose as they can go and the belt is still too short to ride on top of the water pump pulley. I know it came off there and I know the belt didn't shrink but somehow it's too short now lol

As far as the A/C belt touching the water pump pulley..... could there have been washers/spacers behind the crankshaft pulley that I failed to put back on that is allowing it to be too close to the motor?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Look at where the bolts are on the pulley, Do you see the rectangular rust mark? This is makes me think you put it on backwards. And since you say the alternator belt hit's it there's proof. Turn it around i bet you will see round marks. From the wear on the belt that doesn't look right either, Only half has the lettering worn off. Check that you have the right belt.

Quick Reply: belts not lining up on '94 Spirit, what am I doing wrong?