3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replacement headlights with proper reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default replacement headlights with proper reflectors

My 04 I bought a couple weeks back came with newer headlights. I could spot deer with these things, they shoot light right out of the side of the lamp. They look right in the daylight, but the reflectors are not engineering properly at all. Can someone recommend a good set of aftermarkets? Or am I going to have to buy mopar brand used ones and polish the fog off?

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

AM-Autoparts.com sells stock replacements. They are inexpensive, and generally come with bulbs. (even when they say they don't.....) I bought sets for both my second gens, first set still looked brand new after 7 years.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
AM-Autoparts.com sells stock replacements. They are inexpensive, and generally come with bulbs. (even when they say they don't.....) I bought sets for both my second gens, first set still looked brand new after 7 years.
The ones the PO put on look just like factory, its just that they don't have good light pattern. Does yours work well that way?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2019, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

They need to be aimed properly, but, after that, I am perfectly happy with 'em.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

These are very uneven (bright/dark) across the field left to right... which is an internal reflector issue, there is no fixing that... I picked up some factory fog lamps today at the jyard, was tempted to grab some mopar headlights, but didn't want to pay $50 a pair for them and still have to polish the foggy rough plastic out. I'll see if AMAuto has a liberal return policy before I invest.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lol I just ordered AM-Autoparts replacement headlights on ebay today and they are supposed to come to me tommorow. Cost me $68 for the pair and I will get them adjusted for $15 at my body shop I go to. If I remember I will try to update you on how good they work, cause my previous set of aftermarket headlights lasted only 4 months and had those annoying dark spots...

Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Lol I just ordered AM-Autoparts replacement headlights on ebay today and they are supposed to come to me tommorow. Cost me $68 for the pair and I will get them adjusted for $15 at my body shop I go to. If I remember I will try to update you on how good they work, cause my previous set of aftermarket headlights lasted only 4 months and had those annoying dark spots...

Well I put on the new headlights, they fit snug and look great. Very bright but I still need to get them aimed properly. They seem to have some dark spots, but as I said earlier it's probably due to them needing to be aimed.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Thanks for the feedback. The only adjusting I've ever done was to park the truck facing a wall about 20 ft back and then turn the external adjustment screws until they are pointed appropriately. I know that is not what is wrong with my aftermarket units, they just are not made properly inside. Please update your results when done though, I'm sure I am not the only interested party.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2019, 11:01 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Thanks for the feedback. The only adjusting I've ever done was to park the truck facing a wall about 20 ft back and then turn the external adjustment screws until they are pointed appropriately. I know that is not what is wrong with my aftermarket units, they just are not made properly inside. Please update your results when done though, I'm sure I am not the only interested party.

Thanks!

Well I took my truck to the body shop yesterday and they adjusted the lights for $10, but they only adjusted the elevation (it was too low anyway). I had to spend around 30 minutes last night trying to adjust the headlights, and I think I may have finally done it properly. Might need to adjust the passenger side headlight a tiny bit more, but the headlights work AMAZING. There really aren't dark spots, which is a huge relief. They project light fully, and are SUPER bright compared to my old aftermarket lights... I would recommened the AM-Autoparts headlights. They are the same ones sold by 1A Auto which is a reliable parts place, but 1A Auto wants like $114 for the pair while Am-Autoparts sells it for $68 (WITH 10 YEAR WARRANTY!!!). I bought mine on ebay (i'll attach link below) and they came the very next day with one day shipping. Very happy!!!

LINK TO HEADLIGHTS I BOUGHT:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/311397139040#rwid

Old 04-27-2019, 01:16 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

What exactly are you adjusting?

Quick Reply: replacement headlights with proper reflectors