1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case Shifter Issue (NOT LINKAGE) Please Help!

Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 AM
ccssystems
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Shifter Issue (NOT LINKAGE) Please Help!

I am having an issue with my 99 5.9 SLT transfer case shifter, it all started when... of course a 3" body lift. I took it to a shop and had the work done and now I do not have 4 low. The mechanic told me that there was a plastic bushing in the shifter that had disintegrated. I cannot find this part anywhere nor can I find an aftermarket shifter that will work. I am attaching a pic with the area that has a bushing that needs replaced in the shifter (the mechanic circled it), if anyone can give me info or point me to a replacement part or shifter that would be great! Thanks Everyone!

Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hit up a junk yard?

Last edited by JeeperDon; 04-23-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

You can get the linkage bushings at pretty much any parts store, in the "Help" section.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:11 PM
ccssystems

I know, but the issue is not the linkage. Like I stated in the title of the thread.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

And then you have a picture of the linkage????

Just out of idle curiosity.... can you physically pull the lever back far enough to engage 4Lo???? (common problem with body lifts..... you lose some travel on the lever, and it simply won't go back far enough to get there....)

Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 PM
ccssystems

Like I said I was not doing the work, I believe he was trying to circle the main connection point for the shifter to the shifter housing. He keeps telling me it is the "Big Hard Plastic Grommet". When I explained it to Dodge they said that the part is not replaceable and 1st Gens were notorious for them crumbling away. As time goes on I think id be better off going with an aftermarket shifter but I cannot find a "compatible" one. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

From what I am seeing, the shifter is serviceable only as the complete unit..... you can't buy just the bushings, etc. Seems kinda silly to me, but hey, they didn't ask me about how they should part it out........ Typical.

Maybe find one on the used market? (as they don't seem to be available from dodge any more.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:52 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have gotten bushing from the help section at the parts store. How are you so sure this isn't a linkage issue? It sounds exactly like a linkage issue. Either there is slop in the linkage keeping the shifter from moving the transfer case shift arm through it's whole range, or the adjustment rod on the linkage isn't adjusted right making the shifter hit the back of the gate before it can get the whole way into 4 lo. There are also some bolts on the bracket that could be blocking the shifter if not run in the whole way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case Shifter Issue (NOT LINKAGE) Please Help!