2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 dodge ram trans line connector wont thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Eric Dishong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dodge ram trans line connector wont thread

I bought a 95 dodge ram 1500 5.9 automatic. When i got it the transmission was taken out. Im trying to install it now and realized the cooling line connectors/couplers were broke and bought two new ones but they do not thread into the transmission. I have 3 different trans and they wont thread into any of them. Everything I see online says these are the correct connectors. Has anyone had this trouble please help

Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes that should fit. Sleuthing through the parts manual it appears that transmissions before 7/93 use a different connector, so if the transmissions in question are older that might be the issue. Otherwise I'd guess the fittings were broken off and that's why the new ones don't go in without getting the broken off piece out first.

Edit: Nevermind the thread in the transmission is 1/4in-18 for either connector. These are NPT threaded which has a slight taper.

Last edited by DerTruck; 04-23-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Eric Dishong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Yes that should fit. Sleuthing through the parts manual it appears that transmissions before 7/93 use a different connector, so if the transmissions in question are older that might be the issue. Otherwise I'd guess the fittings were broken off and that's why the new ones don't go in without getting the broken off piece out first.

Edit: Nevermind the thread in the transmission is 1/4in-18 for either connector. These are NPT threaded which has a slight taper.
There is nothing broke in any of the trans is there any markings on the transmissions that can tell me what year they are?

Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

As I wrote in my edit, the thread is the same across years just the older versions don't have the quick connect style. Does it physically not fit into the hole or does it go in but not engage the threads ?

That number 800-610 is the same that Dorman uses for the part and the number crosses over to the correct Chrysler part number 4617517. Maybe it's a knock-off (never heard of Needa Part) and isn't machined correctly.

Quick Reply: 95 dodge ram trans line connector wont thread