3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Broken Valve Guide

Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 PM
NascarBob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Valve Guide

OK, newbie here for posting on forums but I spend tons of time reading them. Got an issue that I can't figure out and fear the worst. 2008 Dakota 4.7 threw a rocker and broke the tip off of the lash adjuster. Thought I got away easy when I noticed the valve spring is broken in half. and keeper and top cap were in the head valley. Got the spring out and it appears the valve guide is broken and is completely flush with the cylinder head. Valve does not move (with no spring I thought it would drop). No compression, (cyl 4 btw) 2nd in on passenger side. Going to try a leak down test this weekend when I can work on it again. So, million dollar question, any way to get the guide out without removing the head? Bought truck with 60,000 miles, has less than 90K now, I've never overheated it, and regular oil changes (looks super clean under the valve cover). I'm pretty wrenchy, want to do it simple if possible, but also want to do it right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have a 2003 Durango 4.7 with 290K that I have put about 210K on it since owning it. I believe I've done a pretty good job keeping it on the road with regular maintenance. Thank again!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I suspect the head is going to have to come off. Need to have the valve out of the way to get the guide out...... and they are pressed out from the inside. Given the valve is jammed up in the guide, it's also possible the piston, and valve met..... and that is never a good scene.

Welcome to DF!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Valve Guide