1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front wheel has clicking sound

Old 05-23-2019, 06:35 PM
90DanT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel has clicking sound

I replaced the front hub, calipers, brake pads and wheel bearings on both front wheels but the drivers side is kicking my tail.
It has a clicking sound as if the bearings were bad. I readjusted them twice and it will not go away. The wheel will be quite for about 25 miles then the clicking starts.

I though maybe I got a bad bearing so I put in another new set in with races and the clicking is still there. Sounds just like a bad bearing.

Does anyone have an idea what this maybe?
Dan

Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

2 wheel drive, right? With easily replaceable bearings? I would pull the caliper, and turn it by hand, see if anything presents itself.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve also had this very same problem but Typically a wheel bearing makes like a moaning noise, as speed increases the noise will get louder but if you hear clicking it’s probably one of your tire rods popping in and out of it Socket typically you would hear on a rutted road or hitting a pot hole (which ain’t good to hit anyways ) And the way to test your tire rod is to take a prybar in between the ball joint in the control arm and pull up and down or put your hand at 9 and 3 and shimmy it for any play if it’s your wheel bearing you put your hand at 12 and six and move it that a way for all three things make sure vehicle is supported properly and a lot of times I watch going on YouTube name ChrisFix And he does a lot of informational videos and very helpful

Old 05-24-2019, 11:53 AM
90DanT

What's throwing me is that I did both sides at the same time and the left wheel I did twice due to the clicking.
This is a 2wd truck. When I turn just the hub there is no clicking but once the wheel is on and I'm driving the clicking starts and it is constant and increases as the speed picks up.

I will look the front end over again for wear.
Thanks for the pointers.

I just raised the wheel off the ground and spun the wheel by hand and there is no clicking noise.

Last edited by 90DanT; 05-24-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:26 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

It sounds to me like it is pretty definitely your tires. Get all 4 of them checked.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:32 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 90DanT
What's throwing me is that I did both sides at the same time and the left wheel I did twice due to the clicking.
This is a 2wd truck. When I turn just the hub there is no clicking but once the wheel is on and I'm driving the clicking starts and it is constant and increases as the speed picks up.

I will look the front end over again for wear.
Thanks for the pointers.

I just raised the wheel off the ground and spun the wheel by hand and there is no clicking noise.
Originally Posted by onemore94dak
It sounds to me like it is pretty definitely your tires. Get all 4 of them checked.
If you don't do what onemore94dak suggests first, swap the two front tires and see if the clicking moves with the tire.

That should help eliminate any problems with the brakes.

RwP

Old 05-24-2019, 05:52 PM
90DanT

Originally Posted by RalphP
If you don't do what onemore94dak suggests first, swap the two front tires and see if the clicking moves with the tire.

That should help eliminate any problems with the brakes.

RwP
You guys might be on to something there. I'll check out the tire and will rotate them.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 AM
90DanT

It took awhile but I needed to be sure of the results before get back to you.
I swapped the wheel with the back wheel and it was quit for some time and yesterday I heard the clicked but it was more faint. Same corner of the car but with a different wheel.
Just for history. The corner of the truck making the clicking sound had the hub, caliper, brake pads and bearings replaced (the bearings were replaced twice).
The noise is still there. A friend suggested replace the very old brake hoses which I'll be doing.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Dan do yourself a favor before spending any more money on parts or guesses, take it to a reputable tire store and have the tires checked. I know they are expensive, you don't have to change them immediately, but knowing that the tire is or isn't the problem will be a weight off your mind. Heck if its not the tire they might be able to tell you what it is.
The tick coming back but fainter with a different tire says to me that the tires are the problem. If the issue were mechanical the sound would be the same and probably would not have gone quiet at all.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 AM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the tire that's clicking, take it off the truck, and bounce it on the ground a bit. There might be something inside it. I used to work at a tire place and objects in the tire would often not make noise until spun at high speeds (ie. silent when we rolled it around but clattered when we put it on the balancer)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front wheel has clicking sound