1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 Dodge Dakota LE / water in floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:42 AM
jawjastout
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1990 Dodge Dakota LE / water in floorboard

Hi,

I inherited my granddad's 1990 dakota LE. 167000ish miles. Runs great for what it is. However, it does have some issues that has be debating fixing versus selling.

The biggest issue is that water pools in the driver's side floorboard when it rains. I've tried time and again to get it to recreate with the hose and it won't. No wet spots higher than the bottom of the gas pedal. I don't see water leaking in via the firewall or higher.

My best guess, though I can't get it to reproduce is water seeping in at the bottom of the frame. The plastic piece that holds down the upholstery is dry and cracked.

Thoughts?

Old 05-25-2019, 11:56 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

1990 still has the ram air vent; I'd pull the cowl cover and clean out all the leaves that have probably collected in the cowl, including down into the fender, to clean out the ram vent.

That's one possible point; takes enough water coming in to back up into the ram vent when the drain is partially plugged with leaves.

Your other possible from where I'm sitting would be bad door gaskets; either door frame to door or window runs.

RwP

Old 05-25-2019, 03:15 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I second what Ralph says. This is an issue on Ram50's and it is solved by removing the screws at the bottom of the fender next to the door and cleaning out the gunk. That is the designed drain from the cowl. IDK where the designed drain from the cowl is on Dakota's.but it seems reasonable it would be the same.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM
jawjastout

Finally getting around to this. I have the cowl off but I’m confused as to where “down to the fender” would be.

Originally Posted by RalphP
1990 still has the ram air vent; I'd pull the cowl cover and clean out all the leaves that have probably collected in the cowl, including down into the fender, to clean out the ram vent.

That's one possible point; takes enough water coming in to back up into the ram vent when the drain is partially plugged with leaves.

Your other possible from where I'm sitting would be bad door gaskets; either door frame to door or window runs.

RwP

Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM
jawjastout

Here’s what I got after dumping three gallons of water directly into the openings under the windshield. No noticeable pooling in the floorboard like I get after a storm.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:15 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by jawjastout
Finally getting around to this. I have the cowl off but I’m confused as to where “down to the fender” would be.
Not "down to", "down INTO".

Go to the outside edge with a fish rod of some kind (they actually sell flexible cleaning brushes for things like cleaning lint from exhaust hoses from dryers), and follow the path down.

RwP

Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 PM
jawjastout

Ok, so down into the space behind the front wheel?

Originally Posted by RalphP
Not "down to", "down INTO".

Go to the outside edge with a fish rod of some kind (they actually sell flexible cleaning brushes for things like cleaning lint from exhaust hoses from dryers), and follow the path down.

RwP

Old 06-26-2019, 07:14 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by jawjastout
Ok, so down into the space behind the front wheel?
Yep.

OTOH - if you ran the water in fast enough, and for long enough, and it didn't run into the ram, that's not it.

That's just one possible source; not the ONLY source, mind you!

RwP

Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The aprox 1.5" round wiring grommets at the cowl (one on each side) on my 94 will leak into the cabin during rain. The water will trail down the wiring and drip right on to the floor mat. If there's a passenger it will drip on your feet.

Steve

Quick Reply: 1990 Dodge Dakota LE / water in floorboard