Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Starter wiring diagram

Old 06-15-2019, 05:20 PM
tacomabd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter wiring diagram

We have a 2010 grand Caravan. All of a sudden we have been having intermittent starting problems. Then it goes away. This has happened 3 times in over a month. I am trying to find the wiring diagram for the starter system. Anyone know where I can find it?

Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

What's happening when you try to start it? Is the engine cranking and it won't start, or is it not cranking at all?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 PM
tacomabd

It does about a half of a crank then stops. This is repeatable.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Sorry for the delay in responding- I don’t have a lot of time to watch this forum.

When this problem is present, is the engine cranking normally with a sudden stop or is it cranking slowly?

If it’s the former, it’s likely a starter problem. If it’s the latter, I’d be ruling out the battery and cables/connections before looking at the starter.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 PM
tacomabd

I replaced the starter a while back thinking that would fix it. It is back.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 AM
GumbyRT
Captain

Did you check the battery and connections?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 AM
tacomabd
Default Yes

That was the first thing I checked.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 PM
GumbyRT
Captain

Sorry it took so long to reply - it’s been a busy couple of days.

If the battery and cable connections are good then you need to determine if the problem is isolated to the starter motor circuit or the control circuit. Have you checked for codes? Even if the CEL isn’t on, codes could be stored.

I do have access to a wiring diagram but I haven’t been able to figure out how to post it for you. Our service info has some kind of block on it that prevents copying or saving to be able to upload or post. Either that or I’m just not smart enough to figure out how to do it.

The next best thing I can do is describe the current flow for each circuit. For the sake of clarity I’m including the relevant wire colors and connectors/cavities which will be listed using abbreviations such as this - YL/GY (C2/8) - this means it’s a Yellow wire with Gray stripe in Connector 2, Cavity 8. Each “—“ means “to,” and “SRP” means Starter Relay Pin.

Starter Solenoid:

B+ — RD — TIPM — Fuse J17 (40A) — SRP 30 — SRP 87 — YL/GY (C2/8) — Starter Solenoid — Starter Case Ground

Control (Starter Relay Coil) Circuit:

B+ — RD — TIPM — Internal Logic Board — SRP 85 — SR Coil — SRP 86 — DK GRN/OR (C2/24) — PCM (C3/38)

To quickly isolate which side to focus on, wait until the problem is present and then jumper pins 30&87 of the relay - if the starter engages, you need to focus on the control side. No matter where in the circuits you check, you should see battery voltage (+/- 0.2v) up until the Starter solenoid or pin 85 on the control circuit.

The following users liked this post:
67D200 (03-17-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Starter wiring diagram