2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost Speedometer After Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM
jordankeck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lost Speedometer After Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Over the weekend I replaced my intake manifold gasket, plenum gasket, and valve cover gasket on my 2001 with the 360. As everyone who has completed this repair knows, there are a variety of grounds, vacuum lines, and connectors that are disconnected in the process. Everything is working great after the replacement, except I have no speedometer. However, the odometer is working. I will not be able to look at the truck until later this afternoon, so I was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this during this repair, and if so, what was the culprit?

Old 06-17-2019, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Do a cluster test. Hold in the Trip Reset button, and turn the ignition On. (not start) Make sure all lights come on, and all gauges go thru their full sweep.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM
jordankeck

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do a cluster test. Hold in the Trip Reset button, and turn the ignition On. (not start) Make sure all lights come on, and all gauges go thru their full sweep.
Thanks for the tip! I tried the cluster test, and everything worked except for the speedo. Below is a link to the video. So does that mean I am not receiving a signal from the PCM for the speedo, or that the speedo is not responding to the PCM's signal?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10CE...w?usp=drivesdk

Old 06-17-2019, 05:32 PM
jordankeck

I am happy to report back that the speedometer is working. However, I am not sure why! After the gauge test, I swapped my cluster into a diesel 2000 Ram where it worked. As soon as I put the cluster back in my 2001 gas truck, it worked there! Not sure why, but I wanted to close the loop on this. Thanks for the help!

Jordan

Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

That's just bizarre. Could be a bad connection somewhere, but, it is likely in the cluster itself. Moving it around may have cured it, but, that's a problem I would expect to see come back at some later date.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost Speedometer After Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement