2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Locating turn signal flasher relay - 03' Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Locating turn signal flasher relay - 03' Dakota

Anyone got a pic of this thing? I was up under the dash and didn't see it. Supposedly it's a combo unit for the turn and hazards.

From an old thread...

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
The Service Manual for my 2001 says the turn signal flasher is located under the dash panel on the driver's side, "outboard of the dash opening". I think that might mean to the left side of the steering column. Maybe your 2004 is the same. There is no relay listed for the turn signals, only the flasher and fuse.

Jimmy
Reason for this... my LED tails came with flasher modules, but they don't work so well. Hyperflashing like a mother....

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

The combination flasher is between the steering column and parking brake - approx where a clutch pedal may be. Look straight up. About 2-2.5 inches long and 1 inch wide - it's basically the size of 2 bosch ice-cube relays side by side. It's way up there on a dedicated mounting tab.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:53 AM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your LED's need an inline resistor

Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
The combination flasher is between the steering column and parking brake - approx where a clutch pedal may be. Look straight up. About 2-2.5 inches long and 1 inch wide - it's basically the size of 2 bosch ice-cube relays side by side. It's way up there on a dedicated mounting tab.
Thanks, I'll look again. It was dark and drizzling when I was looking around.

Originally Posted by XSubaruJeepDude
Sounds like your LED's need an inline resistor
Yeah... I was trying to avoid going this route, due to the fact that these are not bulbs, they are LED tail assemblies, as you can see in my sig pic. They already each have a flasher module box, which if working properly, should not hyperflash. I got sent replacement units from the company and those screwed up in short order, so I'd rather just fix it on my own now.

Anyone know if the flasher combo relays is simply two separate relays joined together? I'm thinking I might be able to wire in two separate relays instead...the ones for LED lights. Might have to grab one at the JY and take it apart.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:32 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Thanks, I'll look again. It was dark and drizzling when I was looking around.

Yeah... I was trying to avoid going this route, due to the fact that these are not bulbs, they are LED tail assemblies, as you can see in my sig pic. They already each have a flasher module box, which if working properly, should not hyperflash. I got sent replacement units from the company and those screwed up in short order, so I'd rather just fix it on my own now.

Anyone know if the flasher combo relays is simply two separate relays joined together? I'm thinking I might be able to wire in two separate relays instead...the ones for LED lights. Might have to grab one at the JY and take it apart.
It's similar but not exact. It's actually a small RC circuit (I think) that reads the multi-function stalk, hazard button, and brake switch, and flashes an output. I've never cut one open to see if it has a computer chip or it if's 100% passive.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

It's actually a small RC circuit (I think) that reads the multi-function stalk, hazard button, and brake switch, and flashes an output. I've never cut one open to see if it has a computer chip or it if's 100% passive.
Thanks for the images. You're right...it says it right there in plain english.... "Smart relay" and "the combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated (IC) elements"

So it looks like my only option is to install the resistors on the power and ground, at the sockets.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-19-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 PM
magnethead
Legend

I've thought about grabbing a junkyard one and cutting it open. I just have too many other things to focus on building LED compatiable combination flashers.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I've thought about grabbing a junkyard one and cutting it open. I just have too many other things to focus on building LED compatiable combination flashers.
They don't make the digital fellers for the Dakotas??

Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
They don't make the digital fellers for the Dakotas??
Nope. They don't exist.

Quick Reply: Locating turn signal flasher relay - 03' Dakota