3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Driver Wheel Noise - Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Rhox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Front Driver Wheel Noise - Help needed.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The front driver's side wheel is making a grindy noise every time the wheel cycles. The noise happens every time I hit the brakes 0 - 45 mph and it goes away when driving faster. The noise will happen again once I hit the brake when slowing down, but if I don't hit the brake when slowing down, I don't have the noise.

I spent all day yesterday replacing the rotors, brake pads and cleaning up and lubing the caliper bolts. After I got done doing all of that, I still have the noise when using brakes from my driver's side front tire.

I've had bad bearings before on my dodge Dakota and the noises happened when accelerating with the bad bearings. This is just when I press the brake.

I'm not sure if it could be the thin metal guards that might be bent or maybe a sticky caliper. The caliper bolts were hard to move before I lubed them.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Might be the bearing, braking might be making them load differently. They can be a bear to replace, if corroded into the aluminum housing. No change w/o brake and turning the wheel, noise wise?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Rhox

When I press the brake it gets grinding noises every time the wheel turns, and then it will stay that way until I get up to 50 - 55 mph and will come back if I press the brake again.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:27 AM
Rhox

It sounds like metal scraping metal.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry, more specifically, when turning the steering wheel... that tends to load/unload the bearings differently too. Unless you have a brake issue you didn't figure out when you swapped pads and rotors, there isn't anything else that comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Front Driver Wheel Noise - Help needed.