Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Jamie Nash
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Whining Noise

Ok fellow Dodge owners here’s my problem. I have a 02 Dodge Stratus 2.7L w/168k and it just started making a whining noise yesterday. It’s coming from the drivers side of the engine so I’ve ruled out any of the belt pulleys. It whines sitting in park and in drive. It gets loader when you press gas pedal down(in park) or accelerate. I was thinking a few different possibilities but will wait to see what ideas you guys might have.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Jamie Nash

Ok I have an update. I drove the car home from work and it only started making the whining noise once the transmission was nice and heated up. The sound is similar to a bad pulley. After running a few errands drive and reverse started slipping 2nd gear seemed to be ok. Once home I let it set then tried to drive it and it wasn't slipping so not sure if the solenoid would cause these symptoms or if it is a combination of solenoid and something else.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Jamie Nash

Update, so I took a chance and bought a Transmission control solenoid for $152, I also bought filter & pan gasket and changed those as suggested. I just got done replacing it and the loud whining noise is gone. Drove the car around just to be sure everything was nice and warmed up and no sound. I did make a YouTube video of the whining noise and a how to for replacing the solenoid if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Engine Whining Noise