1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What lube for temp control internals

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Deep Six
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What lube for temp control internals

I found the temp control buttons weren't working so set out to fix the problem. As expected the rear cover plate of the control box has broken away from constant pushing of the controls. Worse still 3 of the 4 slider thingys fell on the floor as I removed the controller.

I managed to put them all back in place and tested the controls, turns out I must have put them in **** about as the fan now starts up when I hit the off button. But should be able to fix that by dissasembling and doing a shuffle.

But just wondering what lube to use on the 4 sliders that rub against each other. The action is really stiff and would like it to work a lot smoother.

Any ideas ??

Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I would say lithium.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:47 AM
Deep Six
Amateur

Thank you, the unit has a set of 4 notched sliders, looks like they are made of bakerlite or something similar, the action is pretty stiff

Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i could be wrong but i almost feel like you probably need a dry lube of some sort to lube all the internal parts since you don't want anything blocking any of the vacuum passages or drying up and causing it to not work. hopefully you can fix it because even where those trucks were more common that is usually a bit trickier part to find in good working condition. they like to melt as they get older.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use super lube synthetic grease with PTFE on thing like this. Harbor Freight is the only store I know of that stocks it in store. 3-in-one also makes a PTFE grease that you can get locally at Lowe's.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I would think a graphite-based lubricant would be a better plan. Something they use on locks, and such. It's a dry lube, so, doesn't attract/hold on to dust, dirt, or other contaminants.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:01 AM
Deep Six
Amateur

Well, I puled the unit back out today to refit the sliders in the correct orientation. Started searching my shelves for some sort of lube and found some O Ring Lubricant which sounded OK. Tried that but failed, it made the action stiffer than is was with 30 plus year old grease in it.
Oh well, back to the drawing board as they say

Quick Reply: What lube for temp control internals