2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing the shifter lever from the column?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Blayd
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing the shifter lever from the column?

New to the forums, so I'll introduce myself before I get to the issues...
My name is Mike, this is my 3rd, 2nd gen Ram.
This one is a 2001 short bed, regular cab, 2WD, 5.9L, and I've been taking my time slowly fixing it up to my liking....( Light hot rod I guess...)
So far, I've installed,
Fastman 52mm TB
Gibson shorties
Hughes Airgap Intake
Harland Sharp 1.7:1 Rockers
Custom 3" exhaust
410 rear gears...
Of course, the obligatory "Mopar Performance" round air cleaner/valve covers..
All this is leading up to a cam/head package Hughes is putting together for me, so eventually, I'll have alittle more to play with...( spring install I think...)
Just had to have the tranny redone, ( lost second gear ) so I had the stall changed and the shift kit installed. ( This is a great deal better then stock... love it )
I'm putting in a floor shifter, and before I try this, I'm trying to figure out if the shifter lever is just removing a pin to get off from the column? Or is it a bigger PITA then I'm thinking?
Has anyone had to remove the shifter lever from the column before?
I'll be relocating the momentary switch ( The OD Off button) to the dash.
Thanks in advance for any replies.....

Last edited by Blayd; 07-17-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 AM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have installed a few floor shifters, my current project is a 1995 360 magnum into a 1979 van/ motorhome chassis

i needed a shifter with a rearward exiting cable the only one I found was a winters sidwinder shifter but I had to modify all the brackets to make it work

the shifter was designed for a 727 trans, I have a 46rh

my advice is to do some research, find out what shifter will actualy work with your trans
your truck is way newer then mine so to make sure it works, install the floor shifter THEN when you have everything working remove the stock shifter

removing the pin is easy, getting it back in is really hard!!

you May also have problems with steering wheel lock

i have an overdrive off button that came off a 91 van, small square and fit my dash good. I used the signal wire to the comp and the bulb driver wire from the comp

signal wire was just a momentary ground

bulb driver wire is just a negative signal wire from comp to light the bulb in the switch to tell you the overdrive is off

your bulb may be in the cluster and might be difficult to re wire

post some pics when you get it all installed, sounds like it will look cool!!

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The switch in the shifter is still just a momentary switch, and the PCM still controls the O/D off light. I think simply relocating the switch will be adequate to the task, PCM will take care of the light.

Might try and find a steering column from a manual trans truck. That would alleviate a lot of concerns.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:54 PM
Blayd
Amateur

Thanks for the replies....

I should have stated, I already have the shifter, and it will fit the floor, and it's made for the 46RE, along with several others. They also make them for GM and Ford with different hardware.
The "OD/Off button" is nothing but a momentary switch, that comes off the shifter lever really easily, relocating it is just a matter of cutting the wires, soldering some longer lengths to the ones already there, and mounting it someplace else.
I might even buy a switch thats something alittle nicer looking to mount in the dash.
I did that with the KC lights mounted on the bull bar.
On a 2001, the dash light has nothing to do with the location of that switch, or the position of the shifter lever, So thats not a problem at all.
The shifter, comes with neutral safety switch, and reverse light switch.
They have instructions as well, to make sure the steering wheel/ignition key lock still works. Its a nice kit, just could have better visual documentation for some of the instructions, especially the wheel lock... but I'll figure it out.
They tell you to make sure the Steering wheel lock lever, in the engine compartment, is secured in the up position, which allows the steering wheel to still be locked and the key removed when the key is in the "locked" position.
There's nothing wrong with the stock shifter, works great, I just needed to know if its just a matter of knocking out the pin to get the lever off the column, or if its more then that.
I know its a nightmare if you have to actually FIX the rods in the column...you have no choice but to remove the steering column, which is a PITA.
Thats why I was hoping somebody has atcually had to remove the shifter lever from the column.
I really appreciate the responses....

Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

So far as I know, yeah, knock out that pin, and the lever should pull right out. Just need to address the wires for the O/D off switch.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Blayd
Amateur

OK. Thanks.
The wires for the OD/Off switch are no problem. I've taken that switch out before.
Honestly, if its just a matter of knocking the pin out, and after looking a bit today, Shouldn't be a problem.
Probably relocating the wires for the Neutral safety switch and back up lights will be the major PITA.
I didnt even think about those until today....
The shifter install looks like an easy job, removing the stock shifter lever is looking like a fairly easy thing, I didnt even think about getting the wires from the neutral safety switch and the back up lights routed to the new shifter.
Guess on my one day off this week, I'll find the wires for both, the location of the stock switches, and see what it takes to pull the plugs on those and getting them re-routed. Shouldn't be a big deal, but I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before starting this.

Thanks again....

Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Blayd
Amateur

OK, scratch the last post on my concerns with the Neutral safety switch.
Turns out that the Nuetral safety switch on our 46RE trannies will work no matter what shifter you use.
The shifter has nothing to do with the switch.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Correct, the P/N switch is ON the trans.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Blayd
Amateur

Yep. And I believe it also controls the back up lights as well, so no wire routing needed there either. I have to admit, of all the shifters I've done in the past, the 46RE trans is looking to be the easiest one I've done to date.
Thanks again for the help all....

Old 07-20-2019, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blayd
Yep. And I believe it also controls the back up lights as well, so no wire routing needed there either. I have to admit, of all the shifters I've done in the past, the 46RE trans is looking to be the easiest one I've done to date.
Thanks again for the help all....
I am sure it will come up with something to keep your life interesting.

How about some pics of your project?

Quick Reply: Removing the shifter lever from the column?