Dodge Classics Have a pre-muscle era car? How about an old pickup truck? Talk classic automobiles within.

D150 Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Joseph Farnsworth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D150 Restomod

Hey guys, I have an 84 D150 5.2l RWD. I want to swap out a 2011 Ram 5.7l but have some questions that I cant find the answers to. Anybody here ever done a modern engine swap and have some advice any help would be great.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:18 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Farnsworth
Hey guys, I have an 84 D150 5.2l RWD. I want to swap out a 2011 Ram 5.7l but have some questions that I cant find the answers to. Anybody here ever done a modern engine swap and have some advice any help would be great.

If you have a complete wrecked truck, you'll need the engine/transmission and the wiring harness as well as all the computers. I doubt the 5.7 will bolt up to the old Torqueflite transmission. Then you may have to fabricate the engine and transmission mounts. It would be neat when done but a LOT of work. Now, there are companies that will sell an adapter harness but I couldn't tell you who they are anymore. 10 years ago, maybe, just not now. Personally, I think it would be easier to mount your body on the newer truck frame and driveline. You'd have modern brakes and handling and old school looks.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 07-23-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Joseph Farnsworth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you have a complete wrecked truck, you'll need the engine/transmission and the wiring harness as well as all the computers. I doubt the 5.7 will bolt up to the old Torqueflite transmission. Then you may have to fabricate the engine and transmission mounts. It would be neat when done but a LOT of work. Now, there are companies that will sell an adapter harness but I couldn't tell you who they are anymore. 10 years ago, maybe, just not now. Personally, I think it would be easier to mount your body on the newer truck frame and driveline. You'd have modern brakes and handling and old school looks.
Never thought of that. Could find a wrecked 1500 without frame damage and just swap it. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2019, 05:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Farnsworth
Never thought of that. Could find a wrecked 1500 without frame damage and just swap it. Thanks!
Find a roll over and the body may be the only damaged part and pieces from that, like the seats, might even be usable.

Quick Reply: D150 Restomod