3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2021 SXT Sudden Death

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 11:58 AM
WhatDa!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2021 SXT Sudden Death

Good day everyone!! This is a my first post so hope I did good. If more is needed then I will try to provide. I purchased a new 2021 Durango SXT RWD with the 3.6L V6 24V VVT Pentastar Engine and I have really have enjoyed it as well, until recently. Came home from work and parked it as always. Next morning the FOB wouldn't unlock the doors nor deactivate the alarm. So I tried the spare FOB, same result. So I removed the key and unlocked the door. Not sure if using the key deactivates the alarm but when I opened the door the alarm did not start honking the horn (that was a relief!). So I got in and the instrument panel was illuminated stating "Press Brake And Start" as always. So I went to push the start/run button and nothing happened. No sound, no click, no nothing. Also noticed that the button wasn't illuminated like it usually was. Back to the FOB's... at first yes, one would think bad batteries. But I ruled that out because the instrument panel stated "Press Brake...." and not, "FOB not detected". Never-the-less, I took the FOB batteries out and tested the with a DVOM, they checked good but since I had them opened up I went ahead and replaced with new. But while I had them out, I went out to the Durango and did the norm and the instrument panel still indicated "Press Brake....". I'm thinking some electronic gizmo must be in a lock-out mode or something. But, I'm no mechanic. So I decided to check a few things. Horn worked, interior lights worked, headlights worked, brakes worked. I checked the battery voltages and both had 12.6 VDC. I checked every fuse in the under-the-hood box (didn't know if there was another one somewhere else) and all the fuses were good. So now I'm thinking old school... I rocked the SUV forwards and backwards to make sure the transmission was not in a bind. So now, all this with no luck. Oh well, I called for a tow. ..... Another note, I did notice the steering wheel was not locked. Not sure if this is the norm because I've never checked it before (or noticed it for that matter). Anyways, I had it towed to a Dodge Dealership. They have had it since July 22nd. Anyone else had an issue like this and if so what was it and the cost?? Scared to death of what my bill is going to be.

Old 08-26-2024, 01:41 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

There are multiple proximity antennas located inside the Durango for the intelligent access, but I don't recall where the primary antenna is for starting the Durango when a fob battery is dead. I think it's at the push button start button. But since it's been at the dealership this long, I'd like to think they have tried holding the fobs there to see if they will detect the fobs that way and start.

I'm not very familiar on what triggers the message between "Fob not detected" versus "Press brake...."

-Rod

Old 08-26-2024, 01:59 PM
WhatDa!

Thanks for the response. Well, me not knowing that much about autos and all the "electronics" that are being used in them now-a-days, last thing I wanted to do was start digging into wires and the such and fry something, set off the air bags, or catch my wife's car on fire !! The (if you want to use the term "funny") thing about this is it happened the morning of that big Microsoft Worldwide Outage w/CrowdStrike. I do believe the Durango has cybersecurity features and I have no idea if it would even be related, but it does make ya think, hmmm. . But, I haven't heard or read on line anyone else having their Dodge to do this so I would say no. Oh ya, it's still at the dealership.....

Old 08-27-2024, 02:47 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh wow! Has the dealership provided any recent update as to what they think the issue is and why it's taking so long? Have they contacted Corporate to see if field engineer can come take a look at what's going on? During the days of the pandemic this delay may have been more understandable. You and your wife must have the patience of, well, something with a lot of patience.

-Rod

Old 08-27-2024, 03:38 PM
WhatDa!

Well, we pray and it helps. I have been keeping documentation since day one. Looks like I might have to go purchase an external hard drive though if this keeps up !! LOL!! I'm at a loss on what I can do. Here's another kicker..... Bought the Durango new off the lot (different location than where it is being worked on). The usual, 3 year 36 K warranty right? We purchased May 20, 2021. It died July 19, 2024 (go figure). It only has 23,440 miles on it. Out of warranty non-the-less. I take care of my vehicles, form detailing to preventive maintenance, always have and always will good Lord willing. And then this happens (way to early). I know I'm not the only one that has issues and it is what it is, that's life. We're praying that nothing happens to my truck because it and the Dodge is all we have. Anyways, if you or anyone else reading this has any "input" I would appreciate it. Oh ya, to answer your first question: They got it on a Monday morning. Said they should get to it by Wednesday possibly even Tuesday. We went by to get an update Thursday because they hadn't contacted us. No one there could give us an answer. Then that Saturday we got a call. Was told the the technician had narrowed it down to 3 modules and would know more come Monday or Tuesday. We've been on the longest roller coaster ride in the universe ever since, lol.. TBC..

Old 09-17-2024, 11:53 AM
WhatDa!

September 17th update.... The Dodge Dealership still has my Durango AND they haven't found the problem either..... They have had it since July 21st.

Old 09-24-2024, 04:06 PM
WhatDa!

Update. Still at the dealership.

Old 09-25-2024, 08:45 AM
WhatDa!

Finally got my Durango back yesterday late afternoon. Like I said, it had been at the dealership since July 22nd. What they found was some wires that had been chewed on from either a mouse, rat, or squirrel, or as they stated "varmit". Yes I know, varmit is spelled varmint, but that is how they spelt it. I hope whatever it was that it got a nice 12 volt buzz from it!! I don't have a garage and have lived here for 32 1/2 years and never has this happened before. Over those years there has always been a boat, different travel trailers, as well as up to 4 vehicles at a time (till the kids grew up and moved out). On my other thread I asked if the cabin air filter can be seen "visible to the eye" from under the hood if one was just to raise the hood to check the fuses. Reason I asked is because the wiring damage was in that area. But now that I have the Durango back I know that answer; no it cant. If the plastic cover(assembly" was to be removed in that area it would make the cabin air filter visible. There is a wire harness that goes through the wall right below (to the right) where the damage was done. The mechanic had enough wire before it actually went through the wall to make repairs. So, other than having to wait over two months for something the mechanic fixed in one day at 6 hours we are glad to have it back. The biggest issue here was not the troubleshooting but them actually not working on it the entire time. It is a long story but once again just glad to have it back. So if any of you Durango owners out there are having some sort of electrical issues, do a thorough visible check for wiring damage and it may save you $$$$$. PS: The Durango still has the low windshield wiper fluid level indicator lit up and I know it has water in it. This weekend I plan on checking the level sensor in the reservoir "and for wiring damage to it as well!!" Thanks for the other responses SHO Rod !! I also included the image.

Old 09-25-2024, 11:27 AM
WhatDa!
Old 09-26-2024, 09:55 AM
WhatDa!

This is why the damage couldn't be seen ...

Quick Reply: 2021 SXT Sudden Death