2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 11:46 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumption

Sup guys. Few years back i posted about some issues. Turned out i had a blown plenum gasket.

Now recently i had a ****load of blue smoke. And this year i didn't pass the yearly inspection , due to emission tests! Stupid Belgium!

My CO was 0.7 and o2 sensor readed out 1.04-5
To pass my emission i need a CO below 0.3 and sensor needs to read 1.03 or lower.

Now the tons of blue smoke made me think it's the plenum! I checked through the throttlebody, and saw an oiled intake manifold.

So last weekend , we took it out , and wasn't the plenum this time! But i've noticed the vac line input of PCV , was all oil.

Now, my first question is : could that really cause the tons of blue smoke? And oil to pool up in my intake manifold?
Or the pooled up oil, could it come from the valve seals?

As well i'm having some issues with my driving now. It's like it's like 2 sparkplugs got swapped. Low RPM i don't really feel it, unless the car is running on Temp, then i notice it a lil. But as soon i'm hitting 1500RPM, it drives for ****. Hearing a vacuum sound.. already checked all vac lines, seems to be fine.. sprayed them with some brake cleaner, didn't notice anything. Now i'm wondering if i couldn've broken one of the throttle body sensors , while cleaning it? Going to tear that

back out tomorrow and check if i notice something.

Intake manifold torqued down to spec. So shouldn't be leaking there... As soon i hit throttle , vacuum noise..

Thanks in advance guys 💪
​​

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

Valve seals won't put oil in the plenum. That's gonna be the gasket, or the PCV system. If the PCV valve is stuck open, it will indeed suck oil into the intake. Doesn't take a lot of oil to make a LOT of smoke.

O2 sensor should be reading between zero, and 1 volt. If it goes significantly higher than that, that's a bad sensor, or a wiring issue. (NTK or Denso sensors only please. Bosch sensors simply don't work very well on these trucks.)

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Does the brake booster seem to work normally? PCV could definitley cause some issues, wouldn't hurt to check it out or just flat replace it with the trucks ages, they're cheap. Valve seals could cause blue smoke but it would not put oil in the intake plenum

Old Today, 10:27 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Took back off the throttlebody yesterday. Must have had somewhere a leak around there. The vacuum sound is gone now. But still, car performs badly. Not sure what could be going on..

Will check the O2 plugs, but it's verry wierd that it drives **** right after i did the intake manifold.

​​​​​​Everything is connected as it should be..

​​

Old Today, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does it run bad right away, or only after it has warmed up a bit? Are you getting any codes??

Old Today, 12:19 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

It gets worse when on temp.
Cool, it drives reasonable but noticeable as well.

Now, i've replaced rotor, rotorcap and plug wires a few weeks ago. And the more i'm thinking of it, the more i'm believing it's ignition related.

Checked sparkplugs today, cyl 8 was wet with oil, guess that's due to the oil puddle in my intake manifold i had.

Going to check rotorcap etc tomorrow. Might've screwed itself a bit loose maybe? Can't imagine it breaking.. or perhaps while working on the car, we hit one of the plug wires maybe? So that'll be the checks for tomorrow. Going to put the old ones back in. Ran good with that for sure.

I do have large evap leak code , p0455 i believe. But have had this through it's lifecycle.

Old Today, 12:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Verify your firing order as well..... I had a couple wires switched, and it drove fine, till it hit O/D, Then I thought the truck was going to shake itself apart....

Are you getting blue smoke? Or black??

Quick Reply: Oil consumption