Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooper Discover St

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 AM
integline
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooper Discover St

Has anyone run these? If so, how was the traction in the snow and ice?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have these on my 'sig truck' right now and they have performed extremely well. Very solid contact even on icy roads at highway speeds. My wife is very comfortable driving the 3500 in any conditions.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Skwurlz

I have the coopers on my 05, and they are by far the WORST tires I have ever owned. I will never, ever buy a cooper product again due to my experience with the discover series crap.

Get Nexxen or Federals, half the price, 10 times better tire.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Skwurlz, can you back your comments up with some experiences? I find it hard to believe that our experiences are that different. Where do you live?

We frequently drive a stretch of highway (Highway 63) in Northern Alberta, which is known as a very dangerous road in the winter due to the excessive speed drivers attempt to negotiate the road, and the lack of maintenance. All winter, I did not feel the truck slide out on my a single time, and we do not have studs installed.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Skwurlz

I've owned a few cars in my day, and run just about every performance brand tire, as well as AT's

I live in SoCal, and the coopers suck in the rain, horrible in gravel, and just an all around lousy tire.

I've run BFG's on my F350, Yokohama's, Federals, Dunlops, Nexxen, Falkens and more on other cars throughout the years.

My favorite is Falken by far, good dry traction, wet weather traction and fair life expectancy.

The coopers, just suck, no grip in the dry, wet or gravel, what's the point then?

For snow, use Vredstien

Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

Thank you for qualifying your experience.

I find it humorous that you are unhappy with it's winter performance in California. Considering the Cooper tires you've reported on are identified as a very soft, winter tire. They may not perform well if offroading, as they are obviously not designed for such purpose.

Wet/dry performance is acceptable in my experience. I do not over-drive my tires/traction nor am I any more cautious than the average driver.

You may want to consider a more appropriate tire for your vehicle given your territory. Your tire shop should have been able to convince you of that when buying them.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 04-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Skwurlz

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
Thank you for qualifying your experience.

I find it humorous that you are unhappy with it's winter performance in California. Considering the Cooper tires you've reported on are identified as a very soft, winter tire. They may not perform well if offroading, as they are obviously not designed for such purpose.

Wet/dry performance is acceptable in my experience. I do not over-drive my tires/traction nor am I any more cautious than the average driver.

You may want to consider a more appropriate tire for your vehicle given your territory. Your tire shop should have been able to convince you of that when buying them.
Didn't buy them, they were fitted on the truck when I bought it used. The truck has never seen a harsh winter under my ownership (2nd owner, first owner had it registered in CA then HI, then back to CA). However, we just went through a spell of record rainfall here, and the wet performance of this tire is horrible. The Falkens on my GTi's were strictly performance summer tires, and they were far better in the wet. So were the BFG TA's on my lifted F350. I don't offroad the ram either, as its a 2wd and lowered.

Had I bought them, I would have returned them to the Tire dealer a LONG time ago. My experience wth them, will keep me from ever buying a Cooper product in the future. Also, if someone offered me a free set, I would pass, and save myself a headache.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM
SteelNexus

I currently have Discoverer STT's on my little Ram. Personally they're one of the best tires I have ever put on it. Plenty of grip in mud and dirt, snow and ice is just fine too, they wear well, they are aggressive but surprisingly quiet on the highway. Very happy over all.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Tread Depot
Former Vendor

We get excellent feedback on the S/T's. Not so much on the S/T Maxx. You can read some reviews here:

http://www.treaddepot.com/review/dst.html

Let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks

Andy
Tread Depot

Quick Reply: Cooper Discover St