Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cop rims on jeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM
R/Tona
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cop rims on jeep

Hi all, just thought I'd share, as well as get the experts opinion.

I bought an '05 Wrangler X with stock 15x6 steelies and 215/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler G/S tires. (TINY)

I wanted a second set to run bigger tires for off-road excursions. (Don't we all?!?)

I had a set of the old MOPAR cop car rally rims laying around, so I measured and found they fit like they were made for the Jeep to begin with, even the hub-centric fit. They are 15x7.
I also found that the rims have 1 inch LESS backspacing, thereby giving the Jeep a 2 inch wider overall track. This gives it a tougher look (IMHO), without looking like the "turtle" cars that roll around with 6 inches of tire sticking out of the wheel well.

Just thought I'd share. I thought it was a great idea! Seemed like it helped with stability too.

My question to the experts is, although I've had no problems in all the time I've run them, how much worry is there due to the 1 inch less than stock backspace where bearings are concerned, or is there a need to worry at all? This does not seem to me to be much worse than the strain of large off-road tires to begin with.

Quick Reply: cop rims on jeep