Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight 4 best traction in snow?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Rainyone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weight 4 best traction in snow?

I have a 98 dodge 2500 long box, with leaf springs where do I put my sand bags for the best traction?
I have been told front by one person, middle by another, and back by yet another...
I am having a lot of problems this year sliding around all over the place. I have 2 year old couper all seasons. I never had so much issues in the snow with my 96 dodge 1500. I have to say coming around a corner at 90km and hitting ice is very scary, and to see other vehicles zoom past you afterward with no problems, doesn't seem right, when I have the truck!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Gary C.
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people seem to agree that placing the ballast in the center of the bed between the wheel wells and over the axles is best.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Gary C... You may as well put the weight directly over the axle. The only issue with that is if you are in a head on, you may have one (or all) of the bags come through the window at you.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 PM
biff10

I was in the sheet metal trade for many years. What we would do is put about 2 inches of flat stock that was 6 feet long in the bed of the truck. You get alot of weight and doesnt take up any space in the bed. By the way I have those Coopers on my wifes van and I am not liking the tires in the snow.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
slicedtomatoes
Rookie

what are you running your tire pressure at???

this can make a huge difference in how much traction you get

if you dont need to have the tires at max pressure ....like your not hauling or have the box loaded with a ton of wight you might try lowering the pressure

just a thought

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight 4 best traction in snow?