Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel studs are metric!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Helixomni
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel studs are metric!

To start out with; I'm new to DF If this thread is not created in the correct area of the forums - My apologies!
I own a 2005 dodge Dakota quad cab, V8 4.7L, since 2005 I have had problems putting the lug nuts back on and have been told that I over torque them... OK then.

After further investigation, I obtained a tap and die set to try and fix the 9/16 x 18 threads for both studs and lugs... OK, sounds easy enough, right? The die was to small, and the stud has a bigger diameter. Now stumped, I went back to Napa to get another Die to make sure, and I got the same results....

The studs are slightly bigger than 9/16. 9/16 thread size is listed in the parts inventory at Dodge and napa auto parts but the ones on my truck are bigger!

My 2005 dodge Dakota rolled out fresh with bigger studs but had 9/16 lugnuts forced on all 4 wheels. As a result, for the last 6 years I have had constant issues with cross treading the lug nuts resulting in destroyed studs or lugs. I have replaced all 20 lugs but soon after the cross treading re occurs.

3 of the 4 wheels there is missing lugs. The front left wheel is being held on by only 3 lugs. Any suggestions on what to do, Any known recalls issued for this problem?
Personally, I think they installed studs that were meant to go on a Mitsu raider (just a guess).

I can get new wheel hubs, they come with the studs already installed. Plus I would like to get ALL new lug nuts again.
Or, I could change the studs (much cheaper but more work).
Or... perhaps I should check the mitsu raider parts and order one of their lugnuts to see if it'll fit!

Any ideas on what to do?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Helixomni

I guess due to the lack of responses that maybe I created the topic in the wrong area of the forums? Mr or Ms moderator's could you move this topic to a more appropriate area? Thaaanks soo much!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Post this up in the 3rd Gen Dakota section. It's a graveyard in this section.

Click me---> https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/

Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Helixomni

Ok thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel studs are metric!