Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm screwed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:06 PM
whadoiknow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I think I'm screwed

I think I've got a real headache. The 3/4 in. recessed nut on my 97 sst was stripped. I kept going smaller size on socket and ended up w/ a 16 mm w/extension. Now the ext. snapped off flush w/socket and is on pretty tight. With the fac. alum. wheels being recessed over 1in. I can't get the socket off now or the ext. out because of the little ball holding it on the socket. Can I pull the axle, think it a 10 bolt cover, and torch off the head or is it bolted inside the drum to axle.? It's one tough lug as it kept stripping the head before it will break.I don't know if I even get the broken ext. pc. out it would still keep shaving the head down and I'll still be in the same position. I sure would appreciate any suggestion anyone has. Thanks

Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You can try this but be careful not to touch the rim. Get a few small die grinder cut off wheels and cut a slot in the extension/socket. You will probably use a few to get it so you can use a drag link socket then try to turn it.

They come in different sizes so you have to match it up.

If you get it off use a stripped lug nut/ wheel lock socket to remove the rest. There are a few different designs depending on manufacturer.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM
whadoiknow
Cool 20 yr. old trucks, time to replace everthing

Originally Posted by Moparite
You can try this but be careful not to touch the rim. Get a few small die grinder cut off wheels and cut a slot in the extension/socket. You will probably use a few to get it so you can use a drag link socket then try to turn it.

If you get it off use a stripped lug nut/ wheel lock socket to remove the rest. There are a few different designs depending on manufacturer.

With the factory alum wheels, the lugnut is over 1 in inside so cut-off wheel won't work. I did go to a local welder who welded 1 in. flatbar to the socket,( not enough metal to just weld to the extension), and pc. of 1/2 x2x2 plate to flatbar and beat the socket out. All I could find was Emergency lug nut remover at Autozone. It went on tight and tapped it in. My h/d impact (100psi comp.) rapped it good but, after waitin' for pressure to max, after a solid 2 min.overall it shaved the lug down even smaller. I'll try either drilling it or keep shaving it down until it snaps off. Never seen a lug stud this strong. Thanks for your help, wish I'd had this site years ago. Will let you know what works and hope for no flat.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:53 PM
whadoiknow
Default 97 SST stripped lug nuts

Originally Posted by Moparite

Thanks for the info, I had a welder tack a pc. of flatbar to the socket, then welded 3x3 plate to it. Not enough metal to tack to extension. Then beat socket off. I drilled a 3/8 in. hole in stud after starting with 1/8 in. bit, then beat another 16 mm socket on stripped nut, Thought the stud would break but the nut came off instead. Never saw a stud this tough. I remembered I had same tire fixed at tire shop,so they put impact too high. They'll crank it up taking wheels off and don't crank it down when installing. Needless to say. I replaced all studs and nuts on that wheel, other 3 were OK.