1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

2000 Avenger - No spark, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:35 PM
Arakis00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Avenger - No spark, won't start

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong and how to troubleshoot what I haven't checked yet. Basically, the other day the car suddenly wouldn't start (it gave no warning signs in the days prior). When I turn the key into the on position, I can hear the fuel pump activate. When I go to start the car, it does turn over, but doesn't start.

I pulled one of the plug wires and popped a screwdriver into the end and set it down near the valve cover. There was no spark. I popped off the distributor cap and the rotor does rotate, so the timing belt is apparently fine. I'm assuming the problem is either in the distributor itself or a cam/crank sensor, but am unsure how to really properly test those.

I did pull off the larger 6 pin connector from the distributor and measured the resistant between the first 2 pins and it's 18.2k Ohms. I read somewhere that it should be around there, but that can't possibly be a conclusive test on its own. Anyways, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 AM
kris82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you're talking about a v6 (6 pin connector). If so I might be able to help you out as I have done a lot of research and testing after having a similar problem on my Avenger.

The first thing you should check in this situation since you already figured out you have no spark and your fuel pump is priming is to check the ASD relay. It's located on the firewall on the drivers side of the car. There should be 3 relays. The ASD is in the middle. There are 2 circuits to be tested, master and slave.

One way to test it is with a spare 30A or 40A relay and pluging that in.

Another way, without a spare relay, is to disconnect the two pin connector that's below the 6 pin connector and checking if you get 10-12v momentarily (for 2-3 seconds) on one of the slots in the connector (don't remember which one, I think there is only one wire running to the connector so the slot with a wire connected to it. Either way you can test both. One of them should have power). When you turn the ignition to ON the relay should click btw, if it doesn't click it means it's bad.

The camshaft sensor is located inside the distributor on this car.