1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
garyjrsonny
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran into the same problem when i done my lift. because i was going to compleatly overhaul the workings of the truck at the same time, when i took apart i removed everthing, encluding those! needless to say i was sol when i started looking for those replacements. advance listes those but i bought to deffernt sets and could never press them into my control arms. what i ended up doing is i bought 1 foot of round stock polyurathane from prothatne specialties(with the outer diameter the same size as the largest bushing, inner diameter a 1/4 inch bigger than the smallest bolt) the cost was about $60. then i went to the hardware store found 1/4" sleeves to fit all the bolts. took old bushing, bolts, control arms, and round stock to machine shop had them made. then i drilled and tapped me a grease fitting in each control arm so it will never have to be done again! all in all i prolly got $150 in my control arm bushing, but i beleive it was well worth it. those were the only one i couldnt buy, so now the truck has a full poly bushing set under it. it handles like a race car with 33" tires! and they look great!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
stikmki2
Default no joy

having something custom would be great my biggest problem is the truck isn't my toy it's my daily driver and i have to be able to do service on it in the 2 days a week when i'm off if i could find a used lca for a reasonable price or some old bushings to get dimensions from would be ideal but taking my truck apart and having it sit for god knows how long while parts are shipped and modified is not an option unfortunatly maybe if the stang was street legal i could drive her but that's not an option either LOL

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Once possibility is remove your control arm and get some calipers and take your measurements. Then re-install it. You probably wouldn't need to separate the ball joints, just release the tension in the torsion bar and remove the 2 bolts to the lower control arm. Then you can measure the bushing.

Some people in similar situations just get an aluminum round stock machined down to fit into the control arm (Press fit) and drill/boar out the center to fit the bolt.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

ebay is a good place to look. They have used complete control arms for $40 a piece on there...

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
DakotaGuy97

I ended up changing all bushings (upper and lower) to energy suspension and I have to say the truck feels alot better, but the downside to this is that they squeak really loud. It varies a little due to temperature but overall squeaks. I would like to switch back to rubber, but of course no availability for lowers. I also saw the guy who used 2wd drive lowers and that worked?? There was a guy on another Dakota site who used the lowers for a 2wd on a 98 Durango 4wd and he said it fit perfectly.

Here is the link:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=63378

What do you guys think?
I wouldn't mind fabbing something but I don't have a lot of time for the truck to be down

Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad you found something that works. Can you post up a link to the parts your got and part number ect.

Some people recommend greasing up the joints before you install them.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
DakotaGuy97

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I'm glad you found something that works. Can you post up a link to the parts your got and part number ect.

Some people recommend greasing up the joints before you install them.
I greased the hell out of those things. They were polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension
The part number is 5.3139G. Here is a link to one website that has them, but there are so many other sites.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...E1253139G.html

Best place to get them from is www.energysuspensionparts.com IMO

Just keep in mind that these will squeak but the truck feels awesome and they will last longer than rubber.

Here is the link to the post where a guy used these 2wd lower bushings on a 4wd Durango

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=63378

Also, does anybody here know anybody that has 97 Lower Control Arm Assy for cheap. I want a spare set to work on and modify to fit my needs for my upcoming build?????

Last edited by DakotaGuy97; 04-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 PM
89dakota318
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 97 Dakota 4x4 bushings from energy suspension on my 89 Dakota 4x4 the upper fit fine and one lower also the other lower was the rite diameter just to long so I cut it down and it worked
perfect

The following users liked this post:
Devon Farber (04-25-2020)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 AM
gersain92

ok i have a 97 dakota. Am replacing the upper control arm bushings. New ones come with metal shell/casing around it but on the control arm itself(the old bushings) i was only able to get the rubber part out. What do i do? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gersain92
ok i have a 97 dakota. Am replacing the upper control arm bushings. New ones come with metal shell/casing around it but on the control arm itself(the old bushings) i was only able to get the rubber part out. What do i do? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Being 7 months later, this is probably too late, but it may help others...

I have a 90 4x4, and the photos of the 97 4x4 upper control arm look to be very much the same.

After I burned the rubber out of the shells, I cautiously used an air hammer/chisel to drive it out while the control arm was in a bench vise.
I used an old blunt chisel against the flange of the bushing shell to push it out.
I had the chisel positioned where the flange meets the actual control arm. I used a blunt chisel to ensure I didn't damage the control arm itself.

For really rusted ones: I have used a chisel to bend the shell inwards and partially cut the shell, which helped loosen the shell.
Then I drove it out with a old blunt chisel.

This is of course, if you don't care if you destroy the shells.

Quick Reply: No control arm bushings