1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel gauge not working after new pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
lilbill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge not working after new pump

Hi all. I have a '95 dakota sport. I recently replaced the fuel pump after the old one died. Before replacement, the gauge and fuel light worked properly. After the replacement the gauge always reads empty. Do I need to reset anything or could I have done something wrong on the install?

I read through the FAQ but my problem sounds different since this is from a new pump.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM
92daks

my was the same way after a new pump was installed, by someone else, i found that they didnt turn the float the right way, after the pump change, and it woulndt let it move up and down, it was stuck on empty, i turned it so that the float does it job, works great, hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM
lilbill

That was one of my thoughts...I'll give it a try! Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
meaculpa3x
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happen. New pump, now gauge reads empty all the time. I put the pump in myself. Thought I had the float right but will have to check. Will update with the results.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 PM
meaculpa3x
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK GOT IT FIXED!!! Pulled the tank down, again, and took the pump out. Tested Ohms on the old pump and the new pump. high when the float is down low when up. Both read the same, but... and there is a but... I noticed the arm on the new pump, that has the float on the end of it, was longer than the old one. Looked and realized it was hitting the side of the tank when it would try to go up!! LOL!! So I turned the pump 90 degrees, of course had to turn the plug and hose connections on top too, put it all back together and Presto! Gauge works now. Yeah!

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge not working after new pump