1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Shifer linkage/ switch adjusting help NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakota1089
Can you explain more?

Did you clean/refurbish the starter since it was out. Very simple to do. There are a multitude of writeups on rebuilding them. The engine ground is a ground for the starter circuit since there are no gaskets preventing contact. I have had issues with "lack of" an engine ground before, that would cause the same problem. Simply put, put a 4 ga. wire from the battery to the block near the starter, and try to start using your "original setup". If it resolves, then you have a grounding problem. If not, then look at rebuilding your starter or sourcing one.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by siggie30
Did you clean/refurbish the starter since it was out. Very simple to do. There are a multitude of writeups on rebuilding them. The engine ground is a ground for the starter circuit since there are no gaskets preventing contact. I have had issues with "lack of" an engine ground before, that would cause the same problem. Simply put, put a 4 ga. wire from the battery to the block near the starter, and try to start using your "original setup". If it resolves, then you have a grounding problem. If not, then look at rebuilding your starter or sourcing one.
thanks for the info i did clean it thats where im starting to think its on it way out or lack of grounding. I will try the ground from battery to engine, where is a good spot to test? should i just both the other end right to one of the starter bolts? or where should i both to the block?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

nevermind i see what you man i can just touch to the block near the starter to see if thats the issue.. thanks i will do that and see

Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Dakota1089
Professional

ok well last night i tried to test out this ground theory and grounding doesnt seem to be the issue here. i connected 1 end of the 4G cable i already had around and had my buddy touch it to multiple spot on the engine including the block all over and near the starter, also including to the starter both and was having to no start issue. Then we did our tapping test and it fired right up first turn. I should state to before all this it fired right up and i took it around the block and parked it for few hours to see if it would re start after a short drive and being parked and thats when we tried the ground test since it wouldnt turn over? So i really do think its the solenoid or something in the starter going bad or not working right?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakota1089
ok well last night i tried to test out this ground theory and grounding doesnt seem to be the issue here. i connected 1 end of the 4G cable i already had around and had my buddy touch it to multiple spot on the engine including the block all over and near the starter, also including to the starter both and was having to no start issue. Then we did our tapping test and it fired right up first turn. I should state to before all this it fired right up and i took it around the block and parked it for few hours to see if it would re start after a short drive and being parked and thats when we tried the ground test since it wouldnt turn over? So i really do think its the solenoid or something in the starter going bad or not working right?

I agree that you need a new starter (the solenoid or brushes) if the grounding failed. I may have an extra lying around if you need one. Or you could get a rebuild kit for about $15.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

extra starter or rebuild? Depending on age and price id be interested.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

It sucks i live in Mn and its freezing over i have a full 89 parts truck but its in my buddys woods now sitting under snow or id take that starter and test it out... Just PM me any details you have if you find something i could use.

Quick Reply: Shifer linkage/ switch adjusting help NEEDED!